Books in the library

Randy Cue

Is there a simple way to tell how many books one has in their library without counting them individually?

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Well, that's a trick question. Do you mean "how many text modules and how many tool modules do I have installed?"

Let's say you have Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, which is one book in 6 volumes. Is that one book or six?

Many of the Commentary reference tool modules are several 'books', collected into one module.

You can get a quick count of how many modules you have (by looking in the Finder), but not books.

And, some books are more than one module. The DSS collection has the same book(s) in two different modules in different order. The CEB has the CEB2 module giving variant text tradition. Some text "books" come with a text module and an accompanying Reference tool module (for the notes).

So, what specifically are you wanting to get a count of?

Edited by Joe Weaks

Well, that's a trick question. Do you mean "how many text modules and how many tool modules do I have installed?"

Let's say you have Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, which is one book in 6 volumes. Is that one book or six?

Many of the Commentary reference tool modules are several 'books', collected into one module.

You can get a quick count of how many modules you have (by looking in the Finder), but not books.

And, some books are more than one module. The DSS collection has the same book(s) in two different modules in different order. The CEB has the CEB2 module giving variant text tradition. Some text "books" come with a text module and an accompanying Reference tool module (for the notes).

So, what specifically are you wanting to get a count of?

Joe, this was not meant to be a trick question. I don't care whether it is how many modules I have installed or how many books. I don't see how I can use the Finder to get the number of either of those without counting them. I was just wondering if there was a place where Accordance would tell me that I have x modules or y books.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Edited by Randy Cue

Then I withdraw my attempt at helpful clarification.

In Finder, if you open the folder containing your module ( probably at /Library/Application Support/Accordance/Texts/ and …/Tools/ ), and make sure menu View/Show status bar is enabled, then the Finder window will give you the count of items in each folder you open up in the status bar at the bottom ( see the phrase "___ items, ___ GB available" ).

Tho, that info is exactly meaningless, considering my previous caveats. :)

Thanks, Joe.

Joe, this was not meant to be a trick question. I don't care whether it is how many modules I have installed or how many books. I don't see how I can use the Finder to get the number of either of those without counting them. I was just wondering if there was a place where Accordance would tell me that I have x modules or y books.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Joe, after rereading this post I can see how it might have appeared rather snippy. That was not my intent, and I truly apologize if it came off that way. What I really want to know is if my Accordance library were in book form, how many books would there be? Is there an easy way to find that out? I am just curious.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Randy,

All is good, no worries.

That question, namely "if my Accordance library were in book form, how many books would there be?" is an interesting question.

I'm certain there's no way of figuring that without a detailed count. And, you have to know something about many of the books, too. For instance, without knowing it already, you couldn't tell Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary is in fact 6 books. Louw and Nida is two books, etc.

Good luck.