Complex Search in BHS-W4 possible?

Steve Carruth

I'm trying to help someone who has limited internet access so can't ask the question here himself. He has Accordance 10.3.1 and wants to search the BHS-W4 for two specific Hebrew words... not where they occur together in the same verse... but all the places where they otherwise occur within 3 verses of each other.

Hope this makes sense... the two words he is looking for are the Hebrew words for table & shewbread.

Is this kind of search even possible? If so how? Thanks in advance!

He would open the Options section by clicking on the + sign to the left of the entry box, and set the first option to Scope: chapter.

His search entry would be table Shewbread.

We cannot select a number of verses, so he has to limit the distance by words, doesn't have to be 100 of course.

• 5 months later...

He would open the Options section by clicking on the + sign to the left of the entry box, and set the first option to Scope: chapter.

His search entry would be table <WITHIN 100 words> Shewbread.

We cannot select a number of verses, so he has to limit the distance by words, doesn't have to be 100 of course.

Hi Helen,

Is this kind of search possible in versions 9? I can't see any + sign but I assume that's probably just to do with the differing GUI of the version not their capability? Could you please explain how to do so?

Thank you

Yep - sure is. The options appear to the right of the search text drop down when in word mode

post-29509-0-38430000-1397545429_thumb.png

I'm at work so I haven't tested this, but you might be able to take advantage of the fact that the Hebrew text contains a Sof pasuq (the symbol that looks like a colon) at the end of each verse. You might be able to construct a series of searches where the context is set to all text:

word1 <AND> word2 <AND> sof passuq

<OR>

word1 <AND> sof passuq <AND> word2 <AND> sof passuq

<OR>

word1 <AND> sof passuq <AND> sof passuq <AND> word2 <AND> sof passuq

This might work.

Bob, your solution does not work. Just set the scope to Chapter and use a WITHIN, and this will work just fine.