#1 Battlesman

Battlesman

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

I would like to suggest that a Keyboard button be added to the toolbar, or a least allow the Characters button on the toolbar to show which go with what. (See attachment #1.)Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-06-29 at 11.00.49 AM.png   42.82KB   30 downloads

Sometimes I would like to add a letter to my Hebrew search, but I don't recall which key on my keyboard it is. I realize I can just click on the Characters button, but that doesn't help me wean myself off of the Characters button. I would like to have something like this Unicode keyboard layout from Tyndale House in Accordance. (See attachment #2.)Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 3.50.35 PM.png   40.2KB   30 downloads

As usual, please let me know how to do this if there's already a way to do it!

Dustin Battles

BA, MA, MDiv

#2 Ken Han

Ken Han

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

You can right-click on the toolbar to show Customize Toolbar... option, from which you can drag out the Characters button to the toolbar.

Edited by rev.ken.han, 29 June 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#3 Battlesman

Battlesman

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thanks, Ken, but that's not actually what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the Characters button (I already have it on the toolbar) to show me which keys go with which Characters, that way I can wean myself away from having to click on that button, instead just relying on my memory as to which key goes with which character. Or, if that's not possible, I would like a button on the toolbar that simply shows me a Keyboard in its entirety.

Dustin Battles

BA, MA, MDiv

#4 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

What I'm about to describe works for Greek : perhaps something similar works for Hebrew - I am not yet mounting that assault so I haven't any real experience but I did do a quick test.

In OSX you can have the keyboard layout displayed on screen (Keyboard Prefs, and Language and Text Prefs). I use the Greek Polytonic keyboard for which Accordance has a preference selection. Then you can see as you type exactly which characters are on which keys.

I tried a quick Hebrew text and it seemed to work, but I have no Hebrew so I don't know what I was typing. I did note that Acc has a pref. for Israeli Keyboard but I could not see an exact match for that in the language prefs.

Anyhow, perhaps some stuff to try.

thx

D

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop

Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge

12GB RAM                                8GB RAM

Accordance 10.4.2.1                     Accordance 10.4.2.2 and Aleph 10.4.3b1

OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#5 Ken Han

Ken Han

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Thanks, Ken, but that's not actually what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the Characters button (I already have it on the toolbar) to show me which keys go with which Characters, that way I can wean myself away from having to click on that button, instead just relying on my memory as to which key goes with which character. Or, if that's not possible, I would like a button on the toolbar that simply shows me a Keyboard in its entirety.

Sorry I misunderstood.

Perhaps this is what you're looking for (Hebrew)? And for Greek. Or Accordance Fonts.

Edited by rev.ken.han, 29 June 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#6 Battlesman

Battlesman

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

Daniel, I'm familiar with that way of doing it.

Ken you pinpointed a chart I'd come across before, and which highlights exactly what I'm looking for: http://accordancefil...udit_kb_map.png

...Except I would love it if it was included in the Characters toolbar button! (Or a button of its own.)

So maybe this truly is a feature request rather than a call for help to find an already included feature :)

Dustin Battles

BA, MA, MDiv

#7 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

I agree this would be handy.

thx

D

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop

Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge

12GB RAM                                8GB RAM

Accordance 10.4.2.1                     Accordance 10.4.2.2 and Aleph 10.4.3b1

OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#8 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Don't forget that you can type in unicode, using Apple's keyboard viewer. Also, if you mouse over a letter in the Character Pallete, it will tell you which key to press, so you can slowly wean yourself away!
  • Battlesman likes this
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#9 Battlesman

Battlesman

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Don't forget that you can type in unicode, using Apple's keyboard viewer. Also, if you mouse over a letter in the Character Pallete, it will tell you which key to press, so you can slowly wean yourself away!

Your second comment is an adequate replacement for now! Thanks!

Dustin Battles

BA, MA, MDiv

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keyboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users