classics shakespeare aristotle plato philosophy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy Butler

Timothy Butler

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Theology, literature, technology, politics...
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

I just received an announcement from Logos that they are going to have "Logos for the classics" (aka "Noet"). It'll offer translations and original text modules for Aristotle, Shakespeare, Dostoyevsky and more. I was thinking how handy that would be and wondered if Accordance could pick up those same texts and offer them? The philosophers would be really handy when studying theologians such as Aquinas and who wouldn't want a bit of Shakespeare to go along with that? I often use Shakespeare in Sunday school, my courses at the university, etc.

Also, notably, the editions look like they are Oxford Critical editions, as opposed to public domain ones. This is huge, opening up these texts for scholarly study instead of just light reading within the Bible software. I'd love to see the Battles translation of Calvin and a modern translation of Aquinas, too, in Accordance along with these other classic texts. 

If Logos can get these, it makes me think this isn't a far fetched dream...

• R. Mansfield and Ken Han like this

#2 Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Well, as far as "Classics" in the true sense of the term (Ancient Greek & Latin texts), Logos has had the Perseus texts up for quite some time now - and, they're free.  If they are offering them for free, presumably not a huge amount of work went into getting them into their system.  

I wish - I double or triple wish - that Accordance would get these texts on their system so that we can use them; especially in conjunction with the LSJ!    :)   

Edited by Katzenjammer, 30 June 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#3 Timothy Butler

Timothy Butler

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Theology, literature, technology, politics...

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

I wasn't aware of that one. One thing that intrigued me about this new offering from Logos is that it offers tagged translations and original language texts so you can do parallel work similar to how one might do with Biblical texts. This would be helpful, for example, as I'm working on learning Latin over the summer (and into the future!). Shakespeare would presumably be easy to incorporate without licensing, although having a critical text -- like the Oxford or Riverside editions -- would be helpful, since it is nice to have a critical apparatus comparing different source editions...

Edited by Timothy Butler, 30 June 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#4 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

I have no idea what Accordance has planned but I for one would hope they focus more on Biblical/Theological works. We know they are currently working on the Anchor Bible Commentary, and then we also know the New Interpreter's Bible is under Contract and will be coming soon after Anchor. Accordance would have to massively expand their staff to deal with new projects like this and not say it won't happen, just saying it seems unlikely in the near future.

-Dan

#5 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,813 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Obviously without seeing any of this in action it's difficult to offer a full analysis of what this exactly entails, but based on my reading of the website here are some items to consider:

The bulk of the texts in the collections are public domain, with the exception of some Oxford editions of philosophical works extending up to 1952.
The Greek morphology of Classical texts is derived from Persues; same for Latin except that it seems to be aided by integrating the work of another web-based program.
The Classical bundles are derived solely of public domain resources, mostly from Perseus, with the addition of LSJ.

As for us, we are already planning to incorporate the Classical texts and some of the additional resources from Perseus. They will not be free, but they will be of the same quality as our other resources. Although Perseus has a morphology algorithm in their website and available through their public domain source files, we are very hesitant to adopt it wholesale because it is not based on individual analysis of forms and context. It could provide a good starting point, but it is known to contain inaccuracies. We have been thinking through how best to integrate these resources and maintain our "research-grade" ethos. We realize the value of Classical resources and do plan to integrate them into Accordance in due time.

I hope this helps to clarify things.

• Ken Han, Katzenjammer and jca0078 like this

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#6 Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

That helps a lot Rick.  Yes, Logos relies on the Perseus algorithm, and it has problems.  It seems to me that very little work has been put into them - it's nice to have them, especially for free, but I for one would pay very good money for "research grade" classics texts.  Thanks.  

#7 jca0078

jca0078

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

Thank you Rick for the update. Looking forward to it myself!

#8 Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

Just checking in to see how this is going?  

#9 Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Just checking in to see if there are any updates!    :)

#10 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,813 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

We've begun the initial work on this, but still have more to think through for implementation and a lot of texts to process. Our goal it to work towards an initial release with a solid group of tagged texts, then gradually release more over time as they are ready. This will be on ongoing project for some time, but we're committed to doing it with the same scope as I previously mentioned. 

Thanks for your patience and support.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users