• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Pchris

Pchris

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Old Testament Exegesis, The Ancient Near East, the Hamito-Semitic languages, Ancient Greek, Mythology
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

Why would Accordance want to spend time on Shakespeare and Dostoyevsky, modern classics? Would not the time be better spent on works relevant to Bible study? Of course I have no idea what makes more money in this business. But I would think that it is at worth thought of taking this stance:

1) Let the other guy be the general electronic book seller.
2) We will beat him in having better and more Biblical (& ancient Near East) language resources, Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Bible background literature, commentaries, theological works.
3) We will beat him by having better & faster search tools.
4) We will beat him by being more user-friendly & intuitive.

You had me at "The Ancient Near East", Enoch! Still, there are a few literary classics that have ties to the Bible, so it isn't too far-fetched. A good example from the Latin corpus is Ovid's Metamorphoses - it contains a creation myth that is strikingly similar to the one found in Genesis. And some Biblical scholars draw lines between Samson and Hercules as similar characters and so on, making the Greek mythological corpus relevant to the Bible as well. On a strictly linguistic level, it may also be beneficial to have other Greek texts available for comparative study with the New Testament and LXX. But I can only agree with your entire sentiment - I, too, think that Bible Study material should have top priority.

With kind regards

Pchris

*EDIT*

I didn't see your previous posts in this thread, where you point out the importance of the Greek corpus, so I misread your latest post, thinking you were skeptical about the entire library of literary classics and not just the modern ones. Mea culpa!

Edited by Pchris, 08 November 2014 - 06:23 PM.

Accordance Version: 11.0.2 

Hardware: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (medio 2012)
Operating System: OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks.

#22 Enoch

Enoch

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted Today, 08:41 PM

Well, I yes ate (British pronunciation of ate) Noet.

You can buy parts of it.  I didn't spring for the Humanities version, but for just the Greek parts.

My ideal is to be able to search the entire Greek corpus, starting with Linear B (at least) for a given lexeme, down to AD 500 at least.

Now if you want a Battles translation of Calvin, just go to Christian Chat forum and mention the name Calvin.

They are doing what I wanted Accordance to do for Greek lexicography.

Edited by Enoch, Today, 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users