13 replies to this topic

#1 cmcintos

cmcintos

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Are there no hebrew apocrypha texts available in Accordance?

#2 Matthew Burgess

Matthew Burgess

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

The Hebrew text of the Wisdom of Ben Sira (Ecclesiasticus) is available.  See here.

It may be the only apocryphal text that has survived in Hebrew. 

#3 cmcintos

cmcintos

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thanks so are there any modules that contain the the apocrypha or pseudepigrapha in original languages?

#4 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,428 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Yes, in fact, the LXXs all include the Apocrypha in Greek. The pseudepigrapha and other "non-canonical" works are in their own collections: http://www.accordanc...-Biblical-Texts

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

#5 cmcintos

cmcintos

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thanks, one more question are there any modules that contain the book of Enoch in its original language? I got the pseudepigrapha module but it only contains parts of the book.

#6 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

The PSEUD-T is the Greek text of the Pseudepigrapha, as complete as we have it. Some portions exist only in other languages. Charles' PSEUD translates many of these.

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#7 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

http://www.accordanc...ead sea scrolls

Will give you the many hebrew books that were found there.. Biblical and non-biblical.

-Dan

#8 cmcintos

cmcintos

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Helen, I purchased the Hermeneia module yesterday, so I have a good translation was actually wanting the texts that were used in the translation. Thanks Dan I had been looking at those, since I think that there are parts of Enoch in the dead sea scrolls, unfortunately the modules only describe themselves as biblical or non biblical. Which doesnt tell me what is included in either module. 

#9 Matthew Burgess

Matthew Burgess

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

The textual history of 1 Enoch is pretty complicated.  The only complete ancient version of the book is an early translation into Ethiopic (I don't think that this version is available in Accordance).  Portions of the book have also survived in a handful of Greek manuscripts and fragments (including one of the Chester Beatty papyri) and some Aramaic fragments from Qumran (4Q201-212, according to the DSS Index module; this was presumably the original language of the book).  Although all of the various parts of 1 Enoch are represented among the fragments, most preserve small amounts of text.  

#10 cmcintos

cmcintos

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Matthew, can I find out what is in the DSS modules without purchasing them? would the fragments of Enoch be in the biblical or non biblical modules? Im not sure since some consider it differently.

#11 Matthew Burgess

Matthew Burgess

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

All of the fragments that I mentioned in the previous post (4Q201-212) are included in the Qumran Non-Biblical Manuscripts module.  (Several are also included in the English translation, although others are so fragmentary that they were not translated.)  I don't own the Biblical Manuscripts module, but since the Ethiopian church is the only church that regards 1 Enoch as canonical, I doubt the fragments are included there.

#12 Matthew Burgess

Matthew Burgess

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

If you're interested in the contents of the scrolls, and you're near a library, I recommend consulting Emanuel Tov's Revised Lists of the Texts from the Judaean Desert (Leiden: Brill, 2010).  This is one of the definitive listings of the names, numbers, dates, languages, and contents of the Qumran manuscripts (in addition to Accordance's DSS Index mudule).

Also, I came across this website.  I don't know anything about its creators, and so I can't guarantee its accuracy... but it seems to include a lot of information.      

#13 cmcintos

cmcintos

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Matthew

#14 Matthew Burgess

Matthew Burgess

Silver

• Active Members