#1 Ken Han

Ken Han

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

This is something I've noticed before, but finally decided to investigate after I saw a user note completely disappear on me last night. Since then I haven't been able to reproduce it, but it happened roughly in this sequence.

I edited my user note in Prov 2:7, 8, and so on until 2:11. I decided to partially undo the changes I made in 2:11 with cmd-z, and at that moment my notes on 2:11 completely vanished and was replaced with content from 2:7, even though the title bar of the open edit window said 2:11, the content inside was

Prov 2:7

etc...

After this point no amount of cmd-z would bring back what was there for 2:11. To make clear, there was previously saved content in 2:11 note before I APPENDED new content, and neither the new or the previously saved content was there any longer.

Again, I've not been able to reproduce this behavior, but a related question is how undo behaves inside Accordance. In standard OS X apps like TextEdit or Pages, undo seems to function in "blocks." If I type a sequence of characters relatively quickly, cmd-z will undo that whole block. And, of course, there's usually a undo-tree, which lets me undo and redo as much edit as possible.

Inside Accordance edit window, undo behaves differently:

1. There seems to be only ONE level of undo. So if I type lines 1-2, pause a little without saving, and type lines 3-4, cmd-z will only erase and then restore lines 3-4 without traversing back to earlier edits in lines 1-2, even if I haven't saved the user note edit since opening the edit window. This is a non-standard behavior, and a limitation not do traverse back up the undo-tree.

2. cmd-z strictly redoes the last action. In TextEdit or Pages, cmd-z will remove the last edit, and keep removing older edits, and in order to undo the cmd-z, cmd-shift-z is required. So cmd-z does undo, and cmd-shift-z reverses the undo. In Accordance cmd-z erases the last edit, and another cmd-z brings it back. So cmd-z does the opposite of the last action, which is non-standard.

3. After editing user notes, if I pause long enough, cmd-z no longer can undo last edits even though I have not saved the edit or closed/re-opened the edit window. The edit history seems to vanish. Again, a non-standard behavior.

So, bottom line, please make Accordance undo behave more standard way.

Edited by Ken Han, 18 July 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#2 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for your feedback, Ken.  We agree that the Undo deserves some attention, and will be addressing it!

Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#3 Ken Han

Ken Han

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

Wonderful, and thanks, Joel. I read in another thread you're planning to revamp the user notes. I'm eagerly looking forward to it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users