new windows always open with entire text, and a suggestion

pclafferty

I think you had this same bug on earlier updates.

Every time I open a new window and input a bible verse search, it gives me the entire bible, yet beginning with the verse I searched for.

Please see attached file. post-329-0-95241600-1374349049_thumb.png

Minor bug, but one to swat nonetheless.

and while I have you on the line, might I suggest putting the search variable button post-329-0-04616600-1374349077_thumb.png on the left side, beneath the search entry window?

to add variables to the search (like in which books to search), you need to enter the verse, scroll to the right side to ask for more functionality, and then come back left to specify the variables.

you guys are all about increasing efficiency while maintaining elegance in your design. Maybe it would throw to many users who are accustomed to this, but seems like it would be a simple fix that adds user-friendliness

clearly with too much time on my hands,

Patrick Lafferty

Dallas

Hi, Patrick. Let me reply to each point separately:

1) The bible being shown is actually a feature, not a bug. In version 10 we added automatic context, as often when only a single verse or chapter is entered, the user wants this in context of the entire text. Now, in your case you clearly don't want it in the entire context, so you have two options. First, you could always slide the context slider (shown with an 'A' [for all] in the left side of your image) back to the left, to '0'. Second, you could turn off 'Add Automatic Context' in Preferences -> Search Tabs, so it will retain whatever context you currently have. So, if you set it to zero, it will always maintain zero unless you change it.

2) We appreciate your suggestion for this button. Its purpose on the rightside is twofold - first to match the identical use in the Finder and elsewhere in Apple's interfaces, for a consistent Mac-like interface. Second, frankly, there's a lot more room on the right side for it than the left, and we want to maximize the space a user has for his text.

However, based on your feedback (and another forum post earlier), perhaps we should add a nice key command to add/remove conditions, to alleviate your mouse movement.

In version 10 we added automatic context, as often when only a single verse or chapter is entered, the user wants this in context of the entire text.

.... So, if you set it to zero, it will always maintain zero unless you change it.

Regarding the slider staying set to zero unless it is changed, that's not how I'm seeing it behave in 10.2. If I set the slider to zero in a certain tab, and then search that same tab again (even if I just hit "enter" to run the identical search a 2nd time), the slider automatically bounces back up to show all context. Maybe this is a bug? I would like it very much if the slider would remain set to zero when I place it there.

Also, you mentioned that automatic context is shown when only a single verse or chapter is entered. But I am also getting automatic context when I enter a range of chapters or verses, such as James 1:3-4, or Luke 4-5. I would find it very useful if searches like these displayed only the range requested. I would like context only when a single verse or chapter is entered, as you said Joel. Maybe this is a bug too?

Thanks for your amazing work -- I'm loving 10.2.

Randy

Randy - are you saying that even with Automatic context off, the slider still resets?

And we think its a good suggestion to have ranges involving a hyphen also represent a context of zero, rather than the context of all, so you'll see that in 10.2.1.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Wow, you guys are amazing! You must be one of the most proficient and professional companies in the world for quickly incorporating user suggestions into future versions. I'm totally sold on Accordance. SOLD. You have a loyal customer for life. I'm telling every serious Bible student I know about Accordance.

Now regarding the automatic context slider, I think I misunderstood what you wrote to Patrick. The slider resets only when Automatic context is turned on. When Automatic context is off, the slider does not reset. It works like it's supposed to. I was confused. :)

You guys are incredible!

Randy

Edited by Randy Steffens Jr