#1 Ryan Gustason

Ryan Gustason

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

The market share for Linux is picking up the pace with refinements coming in rapidly, I was wondering if Oaktree has plans for a linux version of Accordance? 

I can't imagine the source code would need to change that much considering OSX is a step child of BSD, a UNIX variant like Linux.

I also realize you are really pushing to iron out the Windows version, but it would be nice to have it on Linux as well. 

My laptops have the following OS in order of most frequently used:

1.  OSX Mountain Lion- Home Laptop

2.  Linux- Ubuntu- Office Study at the church

3.  Windows 8- Wife's Laptop

4.  Windows 7- All three son's computers.

So a Linux version would be nice to have for my computer at the church. I may try running the Windows version in WINE if no Linux version is forthcoming.

Thanks for the consideration of this suggestion!

Blessings,

Ryan

#2 Ken Han

Ken Han

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

The market share for Linux is picking up the pace with refinements coming in rapidly, 

It seems like every year is the year linux desktop finally breaks through into the mainstream, but never seems to happen. Sure linux is deeply entrenched in the server market, but I'm not sure about the consumer side. I'm a huge linux fan myself. I have old PC laptops happily rescued from death with Fedora 18 and Debian 7. At any given time I have ubuntu server running inside my VMWare. But linux is still so limited to geeks who don't mind endless daily updates, patches, hunting the forum for answers, etc. IMO, it's definitely not mainstream enough.

Besides, how many linux users, used to free software, are willing to pay to make business sense for Accordance for what must be a huge undertaking to port to linux? 

Edited by Ken Han, 01 August 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#3 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

You could always run Acc under windows in a VM style env on the Linux host OS, using VBox or a bare metal hypervisor. Of course you have to have the additional Windows license which you may have no other need for.

I'm guessing that while I would happily use Linux on a laptop and know others who do, that most people don't. There are of course many distros that offer enough of the basic necessaries for everyday work so they are equivalent to Win/OSX in utility in most cases for a consumer. But if you think of a laptop as a tool for running software most people want to buy the platform and install the apps they need and work. As OSX and Win basically come setup included in the price its extra work to setup the other, which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but otherwise its a barrier to adoption.

If I was backing another OS I'd shoot for Android.

Thx

D

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop

Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge

12GB RAM                                8GB RAM

Accordance 10.4.2.1                     Accordance 10.4.2.2 and Aleph 10.4.3b1

OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#4 Randy Steffens Jr

Randy Steffens Jr

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

I'd love to see Accordance for Linux. 

Randy

#5 Ryan Gustason

Ryan Gustason

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

I have my Ubuntu laptop at the church set up with Avant Window Navigator so it imitates the Mac look and feel.  I don't mind doing the geek stuff, that is true, but I also think the latest offerings from Ubuntu and Fedora (among others) are stable enough for mainstream user support.

If it does not make business sense for Oaktree, that is fine.  I'll try running it via WINE when the Windows version becomes available.

I am currently running WINE on Mac as well as Linux in order to use e-Sword (a windows bible program) on those machines. I have a lot of resources unique to the e-Sword platform which makes it necessary to use e-Sword until I can convert them to Accordance modules (a slow process).

#6 Ken Han

Ken Han

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

I have a lot of resources unique to the e-Sword platform which makes it necessary to use e-Sword until I can convert them to Accordance modules (a slow process).

Just curious, what unique e-sword resource do you depend on that is not available on Accordance? Or is it the expense involved in switching over to Accordance? I've dabbled with e-sword here and there, but I'm not very familiar with it.

#7 Ryan Gustason

Ryan Gustason

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

I have a few resources in Pentecostal theology on e-sword that are user made resources.  Before I moved to Mac (2010) I had e-Sword on my Windoze laptop. Since making the jump to Mac (cost factor was the biggest hurdle), I've love the Mac way of doing things, and I immidiately started looking into the bible study apps available for the Mac.  Accordance 9.x is what I finally decided on, and I am extremely happy with Accordance.  As I continue to grow my library by purchasing modules, I am also migrating over those things I need from e-Sword. 

As an example, I use Rev. Kelsey Griffin's notes, available for e-Sword here quite a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users