• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study...I am an active member of KI (Chuck Missler ) and seek to understand and apply the Bible to my life...I bought Accordance to help with my original language studies..I would like to be able to understand what the writers meant to say (I realize there are multiple meanings in the same verses)..not just depend on a translation...
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hi,

I have 10.6.8 on my MAC....I am not sure what and how to upgrade the OS...what do people recommend?...I use my MAC for Accordance...I was going to purchase Keynote and it will not work for this OS version...any suggestions would be helpful...what I do not want to do is get a new OS that has "issues"....

Thanks

Frank

#2 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Frank, a lot will depend on what Mac you have. Do you know the specs?

Also, I can't remember whether the Mac App Store was available in 10.6.8 or not. I don't think it was, but if by chance it is, that has become the primary way for people to download a new version of OS X.

___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#3 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study...I am an active member of KI (Chuck Missler ) and seek to understand and apply the Bible to my life...I bought Accordance to help with my original language studies..I would like to be able to understand what the writers meant to say (I realize there are multiple meanings in the same verses)..not just depend on a translation...

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

Frank, a lot will depend on what Mac you have. Do you know the specs?

Also, I can't remember whether the Mac App Store was available in 10.6.8 or not. I don't think it was, but if by chance it is, that has become the primary way for people to download a new version of OS X.

Rick,

I think the app store is available (I am not 100% sure) but I am having trouble trying to understand which version to get...Leopard, lion...as you can tell I am not an experienced MAC user...I purchased this second hand just for Accordance..what do I do if the app store is not available?..thanks for your quick reply..I just checked the app store and I can upgrade to 10.8.4 OX Mountain Lion...is that OK?...I just purchased it and and now downloading.....

Frank

Edited by fmcfee, 12 August 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#4 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,402 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Mountain Lion works great for me. I am running Accordance 10.2 and Keynote '09 5.3 just fine. In fact, I having been enjoying the beta Keynote "in the cloud" for awhile, too.

If the App store is available on your machine, you should see it as an application called "App Store." It may also be present in your dock, where the icon appears as a blue circle with an "A" on it made of a draftsman's compass.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

#5 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

I'm sure it's probably okay. If it's a very old Mac it might be an issue. When you go to the Apple menu and choose "About this Mac," what does it tell you about your computer?

___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#6 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'm sure it's probably okay. If it's a very old Mac it might be an issue. When you go to the Apple menu and choose "About this Mac," what does it tell you about your computer?

Rick,

It is a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo....4GB

Frank

Mountain Lion works great for me. I am running Accordance 10.2 and Keynote '09 5.3 just fine. In fact, I having been enjoying the beta Keynote "in the cloud" for awhile, too.

If the App store is available on your machine, you should see it as an application called "App Store." It may also be present in your dock, where the icon appears as a blue circle with an "A" on it made of a draftsman's compass.

Dr. J

Thanks...I am downloading it now....

Frank

#7 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Mountain Lion will fun fine on it then. Just download it via the App Store.

___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#8 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

Frank — Remember that Macs are not PCs, and I don't think Apple has ever released any OS that was as bad as ME or Vista.  We have always upgraded as soon as the OS became available and have never had a problem.  We also run the latest version our Macs can handle.

Julia Falling

Accordance 10

MacBook Air Mavericks

Mac mini Mavericks

iPad Air iOS 7

#9 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

To provide a slightly contrary view, I still use Mac OS 10.6.8, and love it!  I have no plans to upgrade until my computer dies and I'm forced to go newer.  So, I do always pose the question, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

As far as upgrading itself goes, Mountain Lion is a good option.  Lion, IMHO was a bit sluggish and bloated to me.  I would skip that one and go straight for Mountain Lion (10.8).

Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#10 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

The one reason to stay with 10.6.x is if you have some older apps you like that have not been updated and require rosetta  layer to run (older apps written for PowerPC).

-dan

#11 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hi everybody,

Well I have updated to Mountain Lion 10.8.4...everything appears to work OK but a little slower....I upgraded only because I wanted to get other programs like keynote....thanks so much for your help and suggestions....

Frank

#12 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

The one reason to stay with 10.6.x is if you have some older apps you like that have not been updated and require rosetta  layer to run (older apps written for PowerPC).

-dan

Dan,

I did not know what powerPC was but had a program that used it and now it will not run...does that mean no support?

Frank

#13 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Before 2005 macs ran a different  chip set but apple maintained compatibility with the old software till 2010.  I have been a mac user for over 20 years so i had a number of older apps that were not compatible, but  the ones that never eventually got upgraded i was able to put in an emulation layer to run.

-dan

#14 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,285 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi Frank.

sadly you are in a cleft stick here. The last version of MacOS that could run the older PowerPC software (via a compatibility layer called Rosetta) was 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. The later 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion OS's cannot run the PowerPC layer. So, if you want the Keynote you now have, you can't run the PowerPC application in ML.

There is a workaround though if you are desperate. You can use VMware or Parallels and run a Snow Leopard virtual machine on your Mac and that will still run your PowerPC application. Do you mind if we ask what it is?

Regards
Ken
Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#15 David Voth

David Voth

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:music, web design, photography, Spanish

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:26 AM

In addition to going to the software maker's website to check for an updated version you might also want to have a look at Roaring Apps website. People have posted software compatibility information with Lion and Mountain Lion for many programs.

David Voth

Mac OS X, iOS

#16 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hi  everyone,

Thanks for your replies...I can run that app on my PC so I will be OK....I really appreciate this Forum and the help I get for all my questions quickly....I read a lot of the comments in the Apple App store about Mountain Lion...I knew there would be some risk but I think in time an upgrade would have been necessary any way...

Thanks again!

Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users