#1 Sandersann

Sandersann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

I hope someone can help me here.

I am trying to find all the references in the Gospel of John where the referent of a third person verb or participle is implied (only indicated by the person of the verb) as opposed to explicit through a noun or pronoun (articular or "independent").

An example would be John 8:31 where the referent of ἀπεκρίθησαν is not given through the inclusion of noun or pronoun but is reflected only in the person of the verb as the translator must supply "they" before answered.

if possible,  screen shot would be a great plus.

Thanks

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

I think you mean to cite John 8:33.

Anyway, this is rather complicated. It's easy to set up a Construct search for the verb without the subject following it:

Attached File  tab1.png   299.11KB   25 downloadsAttached File  con1.png   47.08KB   35 downloads

and another for a verb with no subject preceding it:

Attached File  tab2.png   295.86KB   30 downloadsAttached File  con2.png   49.42KB   43 downloads

But combining them is a problem. Whether you click Search both directions, or you <AND> or <OR> the two constructs in the search tab, Accordance just finds all the third person verbs. This seems to be part of the internal search logic with a negative column.

However, if you set the Construct to eliminate a subject before and after the verb, it seems to work:

Attached File  con3.png   50.29KB   48 downloads

Of course, you need the Syntax module in order to do this, and you need to know about Constructs. There are several podcasts and full details in the Help files, which will help you get started.

• brenshaw833 likes this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Sandersann

Sandersann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thanks a lot.

#4 Marco V. Fabbri

Marco V. Fabbri

Silver

• Accordance
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

There used to be a problem with the last search described by Helen, that showed a few false hits. I see that the problem has been fixed in Accordance 10.3.1, which now shows the correct results.

Marco Valerio Fabbri
P. UniversitÓ della S. Croce
Rome, Italy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users