14 replies to this topic

#1 Wayne Stewart

Wayne Stewart

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

The nerve of some people!  Only one day after the initial release.

I have a friend who is a Ubuntu fanatic and the first thing he tried was using Accordance under wine on his Ubuntu machine. I realise there is absolutely zero chance of you having tested this yourselves but I thought I would mention the difficulty in case some one has any insight.

Actually, I just tried the demo in wine: seems to work perfectly.
Later:

Noticed a problem: hebrew doesn't display properly (just weird symbols) Other windows software displays hebrew fine.

So any thoughts?  I s there perhaps a specific font (presumably) that Accordance is expecting and not finding?

Thanks,

Wayne

• PastorDavid likes this

#2 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

I believe the fonts are universal but will need to be installed int he right place in linux i am not sure where that would be but i would guess Library/fonts/

-Dan

#3 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

The fonts are actually embedded in Accordance, rather than installed on Windows.  I wonder if the methods we're using for bundling/embedding don't work right in Wine?  I assume the Greek content has the same problem.

Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#4 PastorDavid

PastorDavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Theology
    Bible study
    Preaching
    Apologetics
    Computers
    Camping
    Firearms
    Photography
    Disney

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

I've successfully installed Accordance on Ubuntu. I've yet to put it to a thorough test, because I primarily use my Mac. I have the same problem with the Hebrew text. Greek seems to display correctly.
1 Peter 3:15
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;

#5 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

Have you copied the accordance fonts to the unix box???

-Dan

#6 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

file://localhost/Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/Cardo99s.ttf
file://localhost/Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/GalSILR.ttf
file://localhost/Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/newathu.ttf
file://localhost/Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/SILEOT.ttf
file://localhost/Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/SyrCOMTalada.ttf

You should be able to copy them out of your mac APP to  the UNIX font folder and that might work.
I've listed above the TTF fonts, there are data fork true type fonts but I am not sure if those are needed… Right click and show contents. DISCLAIMER!!!! DO NOT RENAME OR MOVE ANYTHING IN THE APP OR IT MAY CEASE TO WORK PROPERLY...

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis, 05 October 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#7 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

Dan, as I said before, Accordance on Windows doesn't look for installed fonts, so any copying certainly won't help.

Of course, our Accordance release is for Windows, not WINE, but we won't forget our Linux friends.

Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#8 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

Sorry I miss understood you.. I thought you had meant that it looks to the application first.. not only...

-Dan

#9 David Purton

David Purton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

I'm also interested in this. I'm still running version 9 under the emulator on my Linux machine, but it looks like version 10 under wine could be a better solution. I'm running Debian Testing which currently has wine 1.4.1 (wine 1.6 is out now).

I downloaded the demo the other day and noticed the Hebrew problem. This is a deal breaker, so I wont be upgrading to Accordance 10 for the moment. Are any of the other fonts apart from Greek used in the demo? Do they suffer from the same problem?

David

#10 Johnny Cox

Johnny Cox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Accordance Version:6.x

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

You know, just a comment.  It seems since Linux is variation of Unix and Mac OS is really a Unix system that porting out a version for linux would be easier than windows.  

I would dig that.  

I really like my Mac, but I could have bought a dumb machine for 1000 less and bought more Bible software!

JC

• Dan Francis likes this

#11 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well there is hope that it will run under WINE sooner or later.. Once they have the bugs out of the way in windows they maybe able to take a peak into why fonts are not displaying properly under Linux/WINE...

-Dan

#12 johnburnett

johnburnett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

i will be very interested in this, because i think my next computer is going to be a linux. 

#13 David Purton

David Purton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

You know, just a comment.  It seems since Linux is variation of Unix and Mac OS is really a Unix system that porting out a version for linux would be easier than windows.  

You'd think that, and indeed porting applications without a user interface from Linux to OS X is not that difficult. But the OS X GUI API is completely different to anything in the UNIX world and porting from Mac to Linux would require rewriting the use interface completely from scratch.

It would be great if Accordance did this of course because a native application is always going to be better than some hack running through WINE (or the emulator which we can currently use for version 9). But there's no doubt that it's a big job for probably only a small return.

At the end of the day, it probably makes more sense to work towards supporting Accordance under WINE and put developer time into fixing bugs in WINE so that it works as well as possible. (The Hebrew display problem is almost certainly a bug in WINE - even if there is something slightly weird about the font in question which triggers the bug.)

#14 David Purton

David Purton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:53 AM

Good news!

I just built the latest wine git version (wine-1.7.10-112-g81c42ce) and it works! I can even copy and paste Unicode text to other applications.

Hebrew displays fine. I have found some glitches.

In the instant details window, the white space character immediately before a left bracket is displayed as a box (as though the character is missing in the font).

It crashes frequently when changing fonts in the character window unless you make the window float. The highlight window also has crashed.

I might look into upgrading, yet...

• Dan Francis likes this

#15 salamanderrake

salamanderrake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Accordance Version:Non-user

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

The only issue I seen so far with the demo is a lag with the parallel view when scrolling with the mouse. Still would be nice to have it native and if you do decide to port to linux think about useing qt5 for the gui. its cross platform and you may want to backport the gui from linux to other versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users