Greek to English

GOMarslier

Greetings Gentlemen and Ladies, I am a new Accordance user with a MAC running on Widows (Language Package). My chief reason for buying Accordance at this time is to get me through my Greek course with which I am struggling greatly. Here is what I need: if only I can type a Greek word into Accordance and get the English meaning I would be a happy man. I understand how to hover over a word in the Greek NT and see the parsing in the instant details window. No problem with that very excellent feature. All I want at this time is to be able to type in a Greek word and get the meaning in English. Can anyone help? Blessings!

You could open any of your Greek lexicons--with the Original Languages package and for what you're looking for, maybe use Mounce or Newman. Then go to the search entry box for that lexicon (which should automatically default to the "Greek Entry" search field) and type in the word you're looking for. It will automatically type in Greek.

You can also right-click in that search entry box for a full list of all Greek words in that lexicon to come up, from which you can select. Or you can go to the "Window" menu and select "Characters" to use that to select the Greek letters you need.

Hi Abram, I greatly appreciate your post. I tried what you said. I am sure that my newness to Accordance is a part of my problem. Nevertheless, a dialog box came up when I typed the word in and hit enter. Howbeit, three dialog boxes came up, one with a word close to the one that I want e.g. υμιν. Another dialog box says “Go to” and the other says “words to enter”. Whatever I do from this stage followed by ‘Ok’, the entire box disappears and nothing else happens. I am expecting to see a translation of the word or something but nothing happens.

In the case of the second option, I do not see the actual word that I am looking for in the list. It is an excellent list but many words are missing.

I would be happy for any further suggestions.

Roy

GOMarslier, once you hit "OK" the word(s) you've selected should now be in the search entry box in the lexicon itself. Once you hit enter, that actually looks up the selected word(s) and gives their meanings.

Thank you much Abram, I think that that is where the problem lies. It seems that my programme is not functioning in the way that it should. It is not looking up and presenting the meaning of the word(s). The box simply disappears yielding no results. I will be in contact with support concerning a resolution for this problem. Thanks again, Roy

That dialogue box is not what looks up words. It is just what allows you to select words, which are then placed in the search entry box of your selected lexicon. Then you push enter to look up, but it is from the original lexicon window that you do that.

Going back to the original post, why don't you run the Windows version directly?

To look up the meaning of a word, open one of the Greek tools in your Library, and there you can enter your word directly and go to the meaning. Of course, this works best if you know the lexical form and search the Greek Entry. You will find some of the inflected forms in the Greek Content.