Photo

What are/is the difference between Link command and the Tab Ties?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 davidmedina

davidmedina

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:God, my family, the Bible, photography and film.
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

I can see one difference. Please tell me if I am correct?

The Link command with link Bibles but won't scroll together but it will basically allow me to search on both Bibles at the same time. Correct? 

The Tab Ties allows me to scroll Bibles and tools together, like Bibles and commentaries?

Could someone share some insight as what are the differences between the Link Command and the Tab Ties? When would I use one vs the other?

Thanks,

Edited by davidmedina, 21 November 2013 - 01:13 PM.

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Rom. 12:2

Blog: The Renewed Mind.

#2 Steve King

Steve King

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

You would you a link when you want a command executed in one pane to also be executed in another pane. Tab ties will not do that.

As an example if you searched for a Greek word in one lexicon (e.g. BDAG) and also wanted to search for the same word in another Greek Lexicon (e.g. Louw & Nida) then you can use the link command to set then up such that the search will be done in both lexicons at the same time. It does not tie them together so one does not move when the other does which is what happens with the Tab Tie.

So a tab tie could be used to tie a commentary with a text when they are not set up in parallel panes (i.e. across two zones or even workspaces).

Steve King Running Accordance 11.0.2 on:

Mac 10.9.5 (Mavericks), mid-2010 Macbook Pro, 4Gb RAM

IOS 8 (iPad 2 and iPhone 5)

#3 davidmedina

davidmedina

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thanks.

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Rom. 12:2

#4 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Another helpful way of thinking about Tied Tabs is that you can only tie Texts (Bibles etc.) and Reference Tools (commentaries and such) and User Notes to each other. That is, only Tabs that are based on reference order.  And, all this affects is that if one gets scrolled, the other tied tab(s) scroll with it. Each tab can have it's own different searches going on, even, (which is a benefit over against using Parallel Panes).

You can not tie lexicons, etc.

The LINK command just keeps you from having to type the same search command into each different tab.

Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#5 davidmedina

davidmedina

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

Cool. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users