• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Yentzer

Rick Yentzer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Bible, family, reading, philosophy, apologetics, theology, markup, coding and programming
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

As I'm reading through the Bible I would like to get a better understanding of the text from a Jewish perspective. I recently had the opportunity to hear a Messianic Jew teach on the scriptures and I was captivated by his knowledge of the nuances of the original languages, the words, and how a Jew would interpret and understand them.

So, I would like to know what text might you recommend?

Thanks.

• Serpentium likes this
"I'm not afraid of failure. I'm afraid to succeed in something that isn't important." William Carey

#2 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm just starting to use the Torah Modern Commentary. I haven't used it much yet, but like what I've seen so far. The JPS Torah Commentary is also good, and on sale a few more days, as are a bunch of other similar resources. The Jewish Study Bible is not bad, but also not terribly in-depth at some of the points that I would like it to be.

There's also some good rabbinic stuff in Accordance that would help you get a handle on how the Hebrew Bible was interpreted in the centuries after it was completed.

• Dan Francis likes this

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

For the entire Old Testament the Keil and Delitzsch commentary delves into the Hebrew text more than most.

For the Jewish perspective, the just released Jewish Annotated New Testament is excellent. The Messianic Jewish New Testament Commentary also provides a lot of Jewish background.

• Rick Yentzer and Dan Francis like this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#4 Rick Yentzer

Rick Yentzer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Bible, family, reading, philosophy, apologetics, theology, markup, coding and programming

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the help! I purchased the Jewish Annotated NT.

There's also some good rabbinic stuff in Accordance that would help you get a handle on how the Hebrew Bible was interpreted in the centuries after it was completed."

Abram, Can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm interested to know of other sources I may already have.

Thanks.

"I'm not afraid of failure. I'm afraid to succeed in something that isn't important." William Carey

#5 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

There is the Mishnah, on which Accordance has posted a nice article here. This might be farther along than you want to be at the moment, but it's worth checking out. Some of the other rabbinic materials in Accordance are noted here.

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

#6 Rick Yentzer

Rick Yentzer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Perfect. Thanks for the links.

• Abram K-J likes this

#7 Matthew Burgess

Matthew Burgess

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

If you don't have much experience with rabbinic literature, I'm not sure I would recommend diving into texts such as the Mishnah, Bavli (Babylonian Talmud), or Yerushalmi (Jerusalem Talmud) without some preliminary study.  The formatting, style, and exegesis are different than most early Christian texts.  However, the Eerdmans Dictionary of Early Judaism includes a number of introductory essays, as well as entries on all the key terms.  (I don't own the Accordance module, but I do own the print version, and I've been very pleased with it.)

In terms of print resources, the standard introduction to rabbinic literature is Strack and Stemberger's Introduction to the Talmud and Midrash (which was last revised in 1996).  If you're interested in early Jewish interpretations of the biblical text, the works of James Kugel (e.g., The Bible as It Was) or Louis Ginzberg (e.g., The Legends of the Jews, a version of which is now in the public domain and widely available on the web) are a good place to start.

Overall, once you have a better feel for the historical and literary context of rabbinic literature, I think it's a much more rewarding read.

• Rick Yentzer, Dan Francis and Abram K-J like this

#8 Matthew Burgess

Matthew Burgess

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

One more great rabbinic resource that's freely available online: an online edition of Rashi's commentary on the Hebrew Bible may be viewed here.

Edited by Matthew Burgess, 07 December 2013 - 04:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users