#21 ukfraser

ukfraser

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Dan but there are also additional article at the back of each 'book'. Here is a careen shot of those in Matthew. (They are the grey blocks in the print version). They really are little gems which are easy to miss.

Can I also recommend that you get the tagged jps to go along with the study bible notes.

;o)

Ps, is there any chance of getting the English translation of the modern Torah commentary tagged?

Attached Files

Fraser Sims

#22 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

I know it is not what you are asking for but just wanted to point out the JPS Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society) with Strong's Numbers is available for anyone who was unaware. But I would love to have TMC Torah tied to strong's as well.

-Dan

#23 ukfraser

ukfraser

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

Totally agree Dan, jps tagged, jewish study bible and Jewish annotated New Testament should be three essential purchases. I strongly recommend that these little gems should be added to your library.

My Accordance library is fairly small but these were added to it as a priority despite already having them as hard copies and are definitely up there in my most used resources.

Edited by ukfraser, 16 October 2014 - 02:59 PM.

Fraser Sims

#24 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:old houses, antiques, gardens, fresh food, good coffee, live music

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

As I'm reading through the Bible I would like to get a better understanding of the text from a Jewish perspective. I recently had the opportunity to hear a Messianic Jew teach on the scriptures and I was captivated by his knowledge of the nuances of the original languages, the words, and how a Jew would interpret and understand them.

So, I would like to know what text might you recommend?

Thanks.

Rick,

I'm with Matthew when he said, "If you don't have much experience with rabbinic literature, I'm not sure I would recommend diving into texts such as the Mishnah, Bavli (Babylonian Talmud), or Yerushalmi (Jerusalem Talmud) without some preliminary study."

For such a study, I would recommend Back to the Sources: Reading the Classic Jewish Texts. The First Complete Modern Guide to the Great Books of the Jewish Tradition: What They Are and How to Read Them, ed. by Barry W. Holtz.

It includes chapters on the Bible, Talmud, Midrash, Medieval Bible Commentaries, Medieval Jewish Philosophy, Kabbalistic Texts, Teachings of the Hasidic Masters, and Prayer and the Prayerbook.

Regards,

Michel

Edited by Michel Gilbert, 16 October 2014 - 04:25 PM.

• ukfraser and Pchris like this

#25 ukfraser

ukfraser

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:19 PM

There is one prayer book in accordance but I am not sure it has all the prayers in another useful reference I have which is the authorised daily prayer book of the United Hebrew congregation of the commonwealth with translation into English and commentary by chief rabbi sir Jonathan sacks published by Collins.

For example, part of the prayer before sleep at night (and after an instruction to cover the eyes with the right hand while saying the verse that precedes this part) love The Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your might. These words which I command you today shall be on your heart. Teach them repeatedly to your children, speaking to them when you sit at home and when you travel on the way, when you lie down and when you rise...
Fraser Sims

#26 Gordon

Gordon

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

I would highly recommend Trude-Weiss Rosmarin's Judaism and Christianity: The Differences.    She skillfully analyzes and deftly addresses topics like miracles, sin and atonement, faith versus law, Free Will versus Original Sin, asceticism, and the place of the founder of Christianity in Jewish thinking.  The book is arranged by subject matter which makes it very readable.  

‏ כִּ֤י לֶ֣קַח ט֭וֹב נָתַ֣תִּי לָכֶ֑ם תּֽ֝וֹרָתִ֗י אַֽל־תַּעֲזֹֽבוּ׃

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users