What are the best export settings?

davidmedina

What are the best setting for the Export preference (specially fonts) so I can get the greek and hebrew exported correctly into Word and Pages?

Thanks

Unicode for sure. Outside of that it is up to you. Any of the additional options can also be formatted in your word processor. As you may know, Word for Mac does not handle RTL Unicode properly (e.g. Hebrew, Arabic, etc). Pages does an OK job with Hebrew, though vowels and cantillation marks are often misaligned.

Would Scrivener do better than Word and Pages?

Actually, that's one app I haven't tested or used. Maybe others can chime in…

What app would you suggest? I saw Mounce using a different one too.

I have no experience with this but it's been discussed on the forums numerous times and may be what you are looking for David.

http://www.mellel.com

You can search the forums for threads on word processors; it comes up often. In short, it depends on what you're working on, and how much Hebrew you plan to use. If you are a student or academic making extensive use of Hebrew and other original languages, then I'd recommend Nisus Writer Pro, or Mellel; they are the best at handling languages. My preference would be NWP.

If you are writing sermons or Bible studies, and occasionally use Greek or Hebrew then Pages would be fine. Word for Mac I think can handle a single Hebrew word correctly (unless it wraps across a line). You can also use Word for Windows under emulation; it is way better than the Mac version.

Thanks.

I mostly write articles and messages. Occasional mention of Greek words

I mentioned Scrivener because is one of the ones I own already. I just like to have a little more power that I currently need

I am no fan of Word but it is pretty much a standard. I prefer pages as I find it easier to use. I tried Scrivener but it seems to have a learning curve so I would need to justify spending g time learning it.

I'll check the one you suggest and see which ones work best for my needs.

I would stick with something you're already familiar with, like Word or Pages.

Rick, Correct me if I man wrong. I think I read somewhere else in the forum that Accordance managed their own fonts on the Mac. Is that correct?

Which fonts should be installed on my Mac in order to copy paste Hebrew and Greek text properly to other software?

Before I started getting serious about learning to study the Bible in original languages and using Accordance I probably deleted a lot of foreign fonts from my system because they weren't used.

I am checking out Scrivener and it seems that it has no problem with Greek (but I am no expert so I may be missing something). I tried in Hebrew and I am not sure because I have no way to determine if it right or wrong other than comparing the way it looks in Accordance and in Scrivener. It seems that it does the right justify and it looks pretty close. I love to hear from anyone using Scrivener.

Accordance renders all original languages in-app with proprietary legacy fonts. These fonts are automatically installed on your system, and you can use them if you want in other applications, but I do not recommend it because they are not Unicode and are only compatible on Mac. In the Export preferences if you enable Unicode export, all text (including original languages) is exported in Unicode (for more info on Unicode you may want to read the wiki or something).

Some common fonts that people like to use for Greek are: Gentium, SBL Greek, New Athena Unicode, *Times, Galatia SIL; Hebrew: Cardo, *New Peninim MT, SBL Hebrew, Ezra SIL. There are of course many others to choose from based on your preference. I personally like New Athena, and SBL Hebrew. Fact is, most fonts can render both Unicode Hebrew and Greek, but may not support the full range of characters, which is why fonts like the previously mentioned are used.

*Both of these fonts should be included in the default Mac OS installation.

Edited by Rick Bennett