2 replies to this topic

#1 Mando

Mando

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:14 AM

Hi,

I have made a test import of one chapter of the Thai Bible in HTML. My attempting this has led to a slew of questions. Well, maybe not a whole slew... perhaps half a slew, or even a slewlet.

Firstly, Thai fonts are not supported in Accordance (of course). I can get some Thai Unicode fonts - if those will work. Can you tell me how to install the fonts?

The Thai Bible is available in 2 translations in 5 online formats, 4 of them are for the Thai KJV version. As far as I can tell all of them are available only chapter by chapter: 1. Is an online readable version. 2. Is an HTML downloadable format, 3. For PCs as a 'SpeedBible' - whatever that is. I can check this one out on the PC side of my Mac, but Iím not sure what Iíll be able to do with it. and 4. As a Sword module. 5. The other Thai Bible translation by IBS is only available in PDF format. If it is possible somehow to import a PDF as a second Thai Bible I will.

The easiest way I know how to do this project is to cut and paste everything into a Word or Pages document and edit it - unless you know of a quicker way. Otherwise, do you know how compile and add all the HTML (individual chapter) files at once? I also think I will probably have to rename the files individually, unless you know of a faster way to accomplish this.

I read something in Accordance Forums that seemed to say that a colon had to be entered after each verse #. The HTML Thai KJV has no colons, nor does the IBS Thai translation in PDF format. If I have to put in colons, is there a fast way to do this? Like transferring to MSWord or Mac Pages and doing a find-and-replace on all the numbers and importing it to Accordance? Sorry it these are all duh!!! questions, I've only had Accordance a couple of days, I don't know too many of the features of Accordance yet, and I'm not all that savvy about HTML, let alone life in general.

Another resource is the Thai KJV is a Sword Module - again, without chapter:verse in the standard format. I did a Forum search about importing Sword modules, but didn't find anything. Is it possible to import this? Again, what do I do about combining individual chapters, and the colon question?

Yet another problem is that the online Thai KJV has what looks to be a lot of parenthetical statements in between the verses (written in a blue color). On the other hand, this version is the only one with colons, showing chapter:verse in the standard format.

In case you want to look at it yourself, the Thai KJV bible is available in several formats by the translator - Philip Pope - here:

http://thaipope.org/

And in online readable, downloadable HTML format, and SpeedBible downloads here:

http://www.htmlbible.com/

The IBS translation (in PDF format) is available here:

http://www.ibs.org/b.../thai/index.php

As you may have guessed, I don't read Thai very well at all, I'm primarily doing this for my friends who speak very little, to almost no English. We do study together, and I can readily pull up verses in Thai for their edification.

Porting the Thai Bible looks like it could be relatively easy (if I can paste it into a word processor), or dauntingly difficult and time consuming if I have to edit it verse by verse.

I anticipatedly await and appreciate your perspicacious advice.

Thanks.

JB

Edited by Mando, 22 October 2006 - 08:42 AM.

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,427 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:16 AM

Currently you cannot import any Bibles, but we hope to offer that soon, for texts that are written with regular Roman fonts. Other fonts will have to wait for a while, sorry!
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,427 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:00 AM

Mando:

Since you edited the post while I was replying, I can only add that Accordance does not support Unicode fonts at all. We may allow this in the future, but currently you cannot import these Thai Bibles into Accordance.

You must also be careful that you do not violate the copyright for texts that you do import. If you own the text, you may import it for your own use. If the text is freely available online without restrictions, you can probably also distribute it in an Accordance format.

I appreciate your enthusiasm as a very new user. I suggest you learn to use Accordance for yourself right now, your Thai friends will have to be content with the HTML Bibles you have found.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users