• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Pyles

Tony Pyles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Hebrew, Greek, Psalms, Septuagint, Linguistics, NT use of the OT, Reformed Dogmatics
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

A number of you here on the forum seem to have a fairly good idea what you are doing with AppleScript, and occasionally when I've had a query that scripting could help solve, you have (graciously) responded by assuming I know at least some basics of scripting and how to implement your suggestions. I would love to! But I have done virtually nothing even with Automator, let alone AppleScript.

So, for those of you who use these, both for Accordance and for various other things in OSX, what would be the best way to cut my teeth on these? Web resources, training-wheels projects, recommendations on where to start, that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance!

Tony

#2 JoeyD

JoeyD

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Preaching, Teaching, Baseball, Fishing, Football

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

I can recommend the following book as a good tool:

Apple Training Series: AppleScript 1-2-3 (Looks like the hard copy is out of stock on Amazon but the kindle version is what I have)

http://www.amazon.co...rds=applescript

• Tony Pyles likes this

#3 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Hi Tony,

This is the language guide for it : https://developer.ap...ASLR_intro.html. There's a PDF of it somewhere too because I have a copy. Its not the most user friendly but it helps. There is also this crew http://macosxautomat...rial/index.html who I've used a little. The content is apparently from the book Joey notes above. I also used an older book on AS but I've loaned that out and don't recall its name.

Thx

D

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop

Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge

12GB RAM                                8GB RAM

Accordance 10.4.3.2                     Accordance 10.4.3.2 and Aleph 10.4.3.2

OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#4 Rick Yentzer

Rick Yentzer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Bible, family, reading, philosophy, apologetics, theology, markup, coding and programming

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

The one by Sal that Joey mentioned is a good one. I've also used and liked Learn AppleScript: The Comprehensive Guide to Scripting and Automation on Mac OS X. It's well written and introduces new concepts slowly.

"I'm not afraid of failure. I'm afraid to succeed in something that isn't important." William Carey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users