Automatically open default parallel text in search tab?

Andrew Perriman

Is there a way to link texts so that when, eg., LXX1 is opened in a new search tab, NETS automatically opens in a parallel pane by default? As far as I can see, this has to be done manually for every new search tab by selecting from the "add parallel" button?

Andrew,

Yes, you can. You do so by opening a workspace or session that you've saved, instead of manually opening the LXX1 module.

A great gift you can give yourself is to set up a workspace how you want it for doing a certain kind of work, and then save that as a favorite workspace for quick access. Then, you train yourself to "open the LXX1' when you want to use the LXX1, so that the workspace puts everything how you want it.

OK, thanks. That works up to a point. The main limitation is this...

I set up a workspace that opens LXX1 on the left and NETS on the right—two panes in one tab. I add it to favourites, which is very helpful.

A right-click search on a word in LXX1 will then open a new search tab with both texts in parallel panes.

A right-click search on a word in NETS will only display NETS in the new search pad.

And of course, a right-click search in any other text will not open parallel panes.

It would be much simpler if every time LXX1 is opened in a search tab NETS is opened alongside it in a second pane. Or every time ESV is opened in a search tab NA28 is opened alongside it. I invariably work with parallel texts in this way and it would be nice not to have to open the second text manually. But I'll see how I get on with the workspace method for now.

I'm not sure my intended suggestion is clear. When you save a workspace to My Workspaces, you can amplify to it and get what you want.

"A right-click search on a word in LXX1 will then open a new search tab with both texts in parallel panes."

To clarify, this is exactly the behavior you are wanting, right? You Amplify to /My Workspaces/LXXNETSspace/ and it opens a new one with the search conducted.

"A right-click search on a word in NETS will only display NETS in the new search pad."

I am not getting this behavior. When I select a word in the second pane, which is not the search text of course, since LXX is, and then amplify to /My Workspaces/LXXNETSspace/, then I get a new workspace with no search conducted, since the word I'm amplifying is not a matching language. I don't know if there's a modifier key you can hold that tells it to search for the key number in this instance.

I think you can get what you're wanting, you just need to create a Saved Workspace for each one you want. A LXX/NETS space where LXX is the search text, and also a LXX/NETS space where NETS is the search text.

Then the same for NA28/ESV, one for each language as the search text.