• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 T. Conrad

T. Conrad

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Youth Ministry. Textual Studies. Original Languages. Web, Graphic, and UX Design. Drumming. ANE History. So much more...
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

I had a predicament: I had an underpowered Vista laptop (circa 2009) and while Accordance ran well enough on it, everything else didn't (including, the OS). This was the main computer given to me for my work.

So, I did what any insane person would do: I tried to install OS X on it. I gave up after a few days.

Then, I did what any sane (and geeky) person would do: I installed Xubuntu!

Here's a screenshot of Accordance running quite well on Xubuntu 13.10. It didn't take too much set-up, however there are some re-drawing issues, and I can't seem to change anything on the toolbar (so I just hid it).

Now, everything runs buttery-smooth and this old laptop is useful again!

All thanks to Accordance for Windows. You guys rock!

Attached Files

Edited by T. Conrad, 15 January 2014 - 12:19 PM.

MacBook Air (13-Inch, Mid-2013)

Intel Core i7

8GB Ram

OS X 10.10

Mac mini (Mid-2011)

Intel Core i5 @ 2.5 GHz

4GB Ram

OS X 10.10.1

iPad mini WiFi (1st Gen)

16GB

iOS 8.1

#2 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

That's awesome. I'm glad to see Accordance finally running in different versions of Linux. Historically speaking, Apple killed the the Apple II about nine years after the introduction of the Mac. The iPad was released in 2010, so...

I always worry that the iOS will so eclipse the Mac, that Apple will eventually discontinue the Mac. If that were to happen, I'd much rather use a Linux laptop as my main computer than a Windows laptop--especially after spending a considerable amount of time in Windows over the past few months.

• Timothy Jenney, Graham Buck and Abram K-J like this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2013 8" Dell Venue 8 Pro - 1.33 Ghz Atom, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

#3 Darin Allen

Darin Allen

Gold

• Accordance
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Technology, Coffee, Gaming
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

I commend you for your geekery, good sir :) Seriously though, this is very cool! Thanks for sharing with the community. It's exciting to know that Accordance for Windows opened up possibilities for Linux users as well.

• Dan Francis likes this
Darin Allen
Director of Marketing

#4 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

That's awesome. I'm glad to see Accordance finally running in different versions of Linux. Historically speaking, Apple killed the the Apple II about nine years after the introduction of the Mac. The iPad was released in 2010, so...

I always worry that the iOS will so eclipse the Mac, that Apple will eventually discontinue the Mac. If that were to happen, I'd much rather use a Linux laptop as my main computer than a Windows laptop--especially after spending a considerable amount of time in Windows over the past few months.

I don't see the Mac computer going the way of Apple II. I think Steve Jobs said it best, tablets are like cars computers are more like trucks, the ideal thing for most users may be a car, but there is always going to be a need for trucks.

-Dan

• Abram K-J likes this

#5 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Dan, well put, but I wonder how much of his vision is still living on with Apple as it currently is. (Would he really have okayed iOS7?)

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

Accordance 11 on Yosemite: early 2008 iMac / late 2008 MacBook

Latest iAccord on latest iOS on iPad mini

#6 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Dan, well put, but I wonder how much of his vision is still living on with Apple as it currently is. (Would he really have okayed iOS7?)

I hope not i like the killing of digital cows, the flatness of 7 is not my taste but I have learned to live with it...

-Dan

#7 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

I do not think Apple desktops and laptops are going away.  Macs are still selling.  Even the new Mac Pro.  You just can't edit photos, audio, or video on a tablet the way you can on a computer – at least not yet.  And there's the screen size issue.  There are many times when, even for Accordance, a laptop will just not cut it, and I need to connect to an external monitor.  If that is true for a non-pro like me, it's got to be true for the professional.

Julia Falling

Accordance 11

MacBook Air Yosemite

mid-2013 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)

8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Yosemite Acc 11

late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)

16 GB RAM; 1.12  TB Fusion Drive

iPad Air 1 iOS 8.1

64 GB

#8 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

UI remains the problem. You've got to be able to put stuff in and get it out. I suspect that while we could build high power compact devices (though not quite as compact) the i/o issue waits on projected keyboards and pico projection style solutions. At that point the device can be much smaller and still capable, but the area required to operate it in probably doesn't. Until then larger devices with their more capable UI devices are required.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 11.0.1                       Accordance 11.0.1
      OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#9 T. Conrad

T. Conrad

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Youth Ministry. Textual Studies. Original Languages. Web, Graphic, and UX Design. Drumming. ANE History. So much more...

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the kudos, Darin!

I'm with Julie on the question of iOS eclipsing OS X. I really don't see it being plausible.

While I can do something such as a quick video edit and photo edit on my iPad 2, the workflow is simple horrendous. For me it's a matter of efficiency; I just can't get certain tasks done as quickly on a tablet as I can on a traditional computer. Same goes true with Accordance. I love Accordance for iOS, it's a great tool. However, Accordance for Mac/Windows (and Linux :P) is more versatile and efficient for long study sessions. (It's even more versatile when supplemented with the iPad!)

In fact, efficiency is what drove me to this set-up. I just couldn't bear wasting the time it took to do simple tasks such as load a web-page or task-switch. Now that I have a leaner OS (and a perfectly fine Accordance install in a wrapper), I can do my job quicker.

So, I'm not too worried about losing the desktop any time soon. I think it will be here for the long haul. :)

Intel Core i7

8GB Ram

OS X 10.10

Mac mini (Mid-2011)

Intel Core i5 @ 2.5 GHz

4GB Ram

OS X 10.10.1

iPad mini WiFi (1st Gen)

16GB

iOS 8.1

#10 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

First, T. Conrad, let me apologize for hijacking the thread and taking away from your accomplishment of getting Accordance to run on Xbubuntu. I still think it's awesome.

Second, in regard to the other conversation that I inadvertently started, I have no doubt that there will always be a need for trucks (computers that run things like  Windows, Mac & Linux in their desktop incarnations). What I'm not so certain of is whether or not Apple will always want to make trucks. Clearly Apple sees its mobile devices (specifically those running iOS) as its future, and the Mac has taken a back seat to that.

When the iPad was first released, it was still very dependent upon having either a Mac or Windows computer for syncing data back and forth--or even to set it up. Remember the "Connect to iTunes" start screen? Those days are clearly gone. You can use an iPad without ever needing a traditional computer. In fact, the traditional computer is overkill for the average person who simply reads email, surfs the web, and is content with a few basic apps. My father is 69 and falls into this category. The only computer he has ever owned in his entire life is his iPad. It's all he needs, and it's all the majority of people actually need. 

Apple knows this. Yes, the Mac line is the best computer hardware out there running the best desktop OS. And yes, the Mac line is still profitable for Apple. But how well does the Mac fit into what they see as the future? I don't know the answer to that question because I am not privy to their longterm plans.

But is there a point where iOS devices so eclipse the Mac that this part of Apple becomes unnecessary? What happens then? Does Apple spin off the Mac into its own separate subsidiary company like it did with the Newton and Claris? Again, I don't know, which is why I like to see things like this post by T. Conrad.

I don't doubt that Apple has significant longterm goals strategically laid out, probably only known to an inner circle. If there's any clue to these plans, it might be in the massive data centers they are building. But even that tells me that these data centers are being built to support mobile devices, probably with services no one out of a select few really know about right now. 

What I'd personally like to see is Apple create some kind of hybrid device that is more iPad when I carry it around, but still capable of being more Mac when I sit down and plug it in to a larger monitor, keyboard and other peripherals (this is where I believe Microsoft has missed the boat with knowing how to promote Windows tablets properly). But if this happens--if some kind of hybrid device is developed--it won't be sold as a Mac; it will be sold as an iPad with greater capabilities. And before this can happen, each OS has to merge closer together; or more likely, the Mac has to become more like iOS. Did we not see that with the recent release of the iWork apps?

Yesterday, on MacBreak Weekly, Alex Lindsay made this statement: "I still think we're in this very long curve where Apple's moving away from OS X to iOS and we're [Apple] going to spend the next two years explaining to you why you don't need your laptop." I agree.

That doesn't mean that no one will need a laptop (or desktop), but it could mean that Apple's not interested in perpetuating the Mac as we now know it into the longterm.  They may be content to sell iOS devices as mainstream computing devices and let others make the trucks as something most people no longer need.

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom and certainly don't intend to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt to all of us who love our Macs. And obviously there are plenty of things that can be done on a MacBook that cannot be done on the iPad. But in the end, I truly believe the iPad represents a real shift in Apple's future, and they are going to continue to head in that direction. And this company has a long history of jettisoning the products that no longer fit in with their forward looking plans.

Mobile is clearly Apple's future. Mobile, including other platforms besides iOS, such as Android, is the future for everyone.

• Abram K-J likes this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2013 8" Dell Venue 8 Pro - 1.33 Ghz Atom, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

#11 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

Nailed it, Rick. Especially this:

What I'd personally like to see is Apple create some kind of hybrid device that is more iPad when I carry it around, but still capable of being more Mac when I sit down and plug it in to a larger monitor, keyboard and other peripherals (this is where I believe Microsoft has missed the boat with knowing how to promote Windows tablets properly). But if this happens--if some kind of hybrid device is developed--it won't be sold as a Mac; it will be sold as an iPad with greater capabilities. And before this can happen, each OS has to merge closer together; or more likely, the Mac has to become more like iOS. Did we not see that with the recent release of the iWork apps?

I can't believe those Windows tablet things (SurfacePro?) aren't dominating the market. I mean, what could be better that something that is tablet and laptop at the same time? Or, rather, could be either at any time? (Except for the fact that it runs Windows....)

Great points about iOS vs. OS X. Upthread T. Conrad makes a great point about workflow. You can barely use one app at a time on iOS--that needs to change.

P.S. This conversation (and whatever happens in the future) points, I think, to the smart move it has been on Accordance's part to continue pursuing becoming more cross-platform.

• T. Conrad likes this

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

Accordance 11 on Yosemite: early 2008 iMac / late 2008 MacBook

Latest iAccord on latest iOS on iPad mini

#12 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Whichever way things go, many of us will still want to do something beyond social networking (which I don't do at all except here, if these forums qualify). mail, and browsing,  So if Mac OS & iOS kinda merge, then we need to have the UI & the power in the portable devices that will enable us to do the 'beyond' tasks.  And we're going to have to have the ability to have a larger viewing area and workable keyboard.

And I'm not doing Windows.  It's bad for my blood pressure.

• Dan Francis and T. Conrad like this

Julia Falling

Accordance 11

MacBook Air Yosemite

8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Yosemite Acc 11

iPad Air 1 iOS 8.1

64 GB

#13 T. Conrad

T. Conrad

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

I do like the use-case scenario that R. Mansfeild pointed out. No doubt if Apple ever shipped something akin to the Surface (with their own spin on things, I'm sure), I would likely grab one. Although, I'd wait until 2nd gen of whatever it is (like I did with the iPad).

And I'm not doing Windows.  It's bad for my blood pressure.

Mine too! Crazy that Linux is easier on me... :P

• Julie Falling likes this

Intel Core i7

8GB Ram

OS X 10.10

Mac mini (Mid-2011)

Intel Core i5 @ 2.5 GHz

4GB Ram

OS X 10.10.1

iPad mini WiFi (1st Gen)

16GB

iOS 8.1

#14 T. Conrad

T. Conrad

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

P.S. This conversation (and whatever happens in the future) points, I think, to the smart move it has been on Accordance's part to continue pursuing becoming more cross-platform.

I couldn't agree more. I've been impressed with Accordance on Windows so far. It's not often you see a uni-platform program make such an elegant switch. Should they continue into other platforms, and with the same robustness as they have with the Windows version, then we are in for a real treat.

Of course, that's just wishful thinking at this point. :)

Intel Core i7

8GB Ram

OS X 10.10

Mac mini (Mid-2011)

Intel Core i5 @ 2.5 GHz

4GB Ram

OS X 10.10.1

iPad mini WiFi (1st Gen)

16GB

iOS 8.1

#15 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

I agree with T. Conrad.  But I will still want a bigger monitor!  A couple of things I really like about my iPad are its compact size and weight.  It is so very portable.  I don't know that I want to carry around a laptop size device all the places that I might take my iPad.  Perhaps something in-between – like the size of the 11" MBA?  But more power + the external monitor.  I know we can already connect an iPad to a monitor, but since I have Macs, I don't.  And since the iPad lacks the efficient workflow and power of my Macs, I don't.

Edited by Julie Falling, 15 January 2014 - 04:51 PM.

Julia Falling

Accordance 11

MacBook Air Yosemite

8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Yosemite Acc 11

iPad Air 1 iOS 8.1

64 GB

#16 Elijah

Elijah

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

@T. Conrad: I tried installing Accordance on Xubuntu using Wine (for fun) yesterday when I saw this post, but the app crashes when displaying the library for example or modules are downloaded but not installed (in hangs forever).

Did you have to do any additional configuration in wine or something?

#17 T. Conrad

T. Conrad

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Elijah,

No extra config. It was from a fresh install. I installed WINE direct from the WINE ppa. I'm using version 1.7. AFAIK it is the latest version. If you are using the WINE version from Canonical, I'd try to remove the one and installing the other first.

Intel Core i7

8GB Ram

OS X 10.10

Mac mini (Mid-2011)

Intel Core i5 @ 2.5 GHz

4GB Ram

OS X 10.10.1

iPad mini WiFi (1st Gen)

16GB

iOS 8.1

#18 Elijah

Elijah

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:24 AM

I upgraded from 1.4 to 1.7 and was now able to install all my modules. Opening the library however still causes it to quit.

Maybe it's because I'm using a virtual box machine instead of a physical installation.

#19 T. Conrad

T. Conrad

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

Elijah, that might be your problem. So, you are running Xubuntu in a VM under another OS? That's a lot of layers.. I think you must go deeper... ;)

My set up was a fresh install of Xubuntu, added the PPA from WINE and installed. I also tried running a light XP install under VMWare, which works a little better (toolbar customization works), but is fairly slower. (Although, I'm on a four-year-old core solo laptop.. so YMMV with a newer dual-core set-up with a good amount of RAM.)

Have you tried launching it from a console to see what error pops up when it crashes? It might be as simple as needing to install mscorefonts or a native windowss DLL (assuming you own a copy of windows to grab the dll from...)

Intel Core i7

8GB Ram

OS X 10.10

Mac mini (Mid-2011)

Intel Core i5 @ 2.5 GHz

4GB Ram

OS X 10.10.1

iPad mini WiFi (1st Gen)

16GB

iOS 8.1

#20 Elijah

Elijah

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

On the first start after installation I always get this error message: Attached File  error message.png   12.16KB   0 downloads

After clicking ok Accordance quits. The message appears only once after installation or after executing AccCleanup.exe.

I think the subsequent problems in some way probably are just different signs of the same problem.

I used "wine accordance.exe &> log.txt" to get more info, but the output is:

fixme:atl:AtlAxWinInit semi-stub

(after adding corefonts)

I tried different distributions (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Pear OS, Elementary OS, Cinnamon) some 32 and some 64bit. Additionally I tested Elementary OS 64bit and Cinamon 16 32bit not with Virtual Box but using a usb drive to boot a live image.

Installations steps basically were always the same:

- install OS

- install newest version of wine

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
     sudo apt-get update
     sudo apt-get install wine1.7

- start accordance installer (no additional config in wine)

Did you use Windows XP as Windows Version in the Wine configuration? The error message seems to indicate some problems with accessing some folders/files.

-----

System details: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge, ASUS P8Z77-V, 8GB RAM

Edited by Elijah, 23 January 2014 - 01:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users