30 replies to this topic

#21 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,107 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

At some point in the future, when some of you get a really solid installation running in WINE in any flavor of Linux, it might not be a bad idea to write down the necessary steps to get it to work. The Documents section on the Accordance Exchange might be a good place to keep such information. 

• Dan Francis likes this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#22 T. Conrad

T. Conrad

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

Elijah,

Have you tried completely removing any pre-existing WINE settings before install (should be found in ~/.wine)? Also, have you used winetricks to install any extra DLLs or IE?

Rick,

That's a great idea. Hopefully if we can get Elijah's problem figured out, it will lead to a better understanding of what's required to get it running well under WINE.

EDIT: I just realized you said no additional config... Try installing IE with winetricks and any network related DLLs that show up in the list and then try the installer again. (You might need to install winetricks - 'sudo apt-get install winetricks' should work from the terminal.)

Edited by T. Conrad, 23 January 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#23 Elijah

Elijah

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Installing IE8 (the newest version in wine 1.7) didn't help. I also removed the .wine directory completely. I created a log of the whole setup and first start of the application with this command:

wine Accordance10.3.4.1.exe &> log.txt

Output:

wine: created the configuration directory '/home/tux/.wine'
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xdce890, overlapped 0xdce89c): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/tux/.wine' has been updated.
fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
fixme:win:DisableProcessWindowsGhosting : stub
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c056 00000001
fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete stub
err:richedit:CharAttr unknown font 0
err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet skipping optional destination
err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet skipping optional destination
fixme:sfc:SfcIsFileProtected ((nil), L"C:\\Program Files\\Oaktree\\Accordance\\unins000.exe") stub
fixme:atl:AtlAxWinInit version 0300 semi-stub

Using the tool ZSoft Uninstaller I logged the system changes on a installation of Accordance in WIndows XP.

I attached the output of the tool (I tried to translate the folder paths from German to English). Attached File  start after install.txt   4.97KB   1 downloads

I saw that after a wine installation not all the folders existed that were there on the xp machine. Especially in documents and settings\All users\AppData\.

After I copied the Accordance folders to the wine installation the initial error didn't occur any more (I did a fresh install and copied the missing files mentioned before).

Now the login dialog is displayed. When I try to log in the green checkmark is displayed, but when I click on continue nothing happens. There is a crypting message showing up after clicking on continue (something about user contents and purchases.

This is the log output of that part (starting accordance and logging in):

fixme:atl:AtlAxWinInit version 0300 semi-stub
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:wininet:query_global_option INTERNET_OPTION_PER_CONNECTION_OPTION stub
fixme:wininet:query_global_option Unhandled dwOption 4
fixme:wininet:query_global_option Unhandled dwOption 5
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUB
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:wininet:query_global_option INTERNET_OPTION_PER_CONNECTION_OPTION stub
fixme:wininet:query_global_option Unhandled dwOption 4
fixme:wininet:query_global_option Unhandled dwOption 5
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUB

I installed windbind after that, because it is mentioned in the log (+reboot), but didn't help.

There seems to be an issue with the installation, maybe the setup cannot find the public folder. 

Edited by Elijah, 24 January 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#24 T. Conrad

T. Conrad

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hi Elijah,

So, I backed up my wine dir and tried a fresh install and came up with the same error as you with the latest Accordance windows installer. I then tried to install over my old install (after an uninstall.... gee that's a mouthful!) and am experiencing the same error. I'm wondering the error actually has to do with permissions now... I'm still looking into it, though. We will figure this out yet!

Grace and peace,

Tim

#25 Elijah

Elijah

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

thanks for taking a look at it.

Offtopic: I was surprised when I recently looked at the apps for Linux that I would need as counterparts for the current ones on Windows (about 40). There are only about 3 apps where there isn't anything available for Linux: iTunes (for iPod sync) and some software development stuff. 

One thing I don't like is that they named the system (background) services in Linux daemons. I know you normally aren't confronted with it when using Linux, but is it just me that has a bit of a problem with it? 

Edited by Elijah, 27 January 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#26 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,537 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hi Elijah,

without doing any of the real background work as to why the background tasks in linux (and a number of other OS's) are called daemons it is probably significant to note that in classical Greek daimon did not necessarily mean evil spirit. It really connoted the level of spiritual being between humans and gods, so in unix talk between the GUI and the kernel (I suspect).

From LSJ

δαιμόνιον

transcendent incorporeal being w. status between humans and deities, daemon (as distinguished from demon, which in Eng. gener. connotes inimical aspect), semi-divine being, a divinity, spirit, (higher) power

So no, I have not generally had an issue with it at all... ;-)

• R. Mansfield likes this

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#27 T. Conrad

T. Conrad

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

SUCCESS!!!

Okay, try this. Download Accordance 10.3.4.1 from the following link and install that.

http://www.accordanc...nce10.3.4.1.exe

Let me know how it works. That's what I used to install just a moment ago (I didn't even clean the dir out) and Accordance has started now. The module message is gone.

Let me know your results.

Tim

#28 Elijah

Elijah

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

I already used this version previously, but I to make sure I tried it again - without success (same error message on first start).

It work should with the newest version 10.3.4.2, otherwise you would be stuck with that version forever...

#29 T. Conrad

T. Conrad

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, I spoke too soon.

Right after that posted, I had a crash and then back to square one.

I backed up the old winedir. I'm going to try to extract what seemed to work out of that config and dial in to what exactly causes it to work and post the wine config. But I might not be able to do that for a little bit.

I'm also looking into the viability of running ReactOS in a vm if it's snappy enough for me... But that's a whole other can of worms...

#30 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

without doing any of the real background work as to why the background tasks in linux (and a number of other OS's) are called daemons it is probably significant to note that in classical Greek daimon did not necessarily mean evil spirit. It really connoted the level of spiritual being between humans and gods, so in unix talk between the GUI and the kernel (I suspect).

From LSJ

δαιμόνιον

transcendent incorporeal being w. status between humans and deities, daemon (as distinguished from demon, which in Eng. gener. connotes inimical aspect), semi-divine being, a divinity, spirit, (higher) power

So no, I have not generally had an issue with it at all... ;-)

Due to its UNIX underpinnings, like Linux, OS X also uses daemons. 

Attached File  Screen_Shot_2014-01-28_at_2_00_26_PM.jpg   85.11KB   1 downloads

Trivia: A few years ago I remember reading that many of the non-human characters in the Matrix movies--such as the Keymaker, Agent Smith, the Merovingian, Persophone, etc.--were daemons of the Matrix.

• T. Conrad likes this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#31 Benny

Benny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:26 AM

I think I have a success...

I took the hint with wine 1.7 from David (here), got my Xubuntu 12.04 some new wine like so and Accordance works. Now I have an issue that is keyboard related, but I guess this is due to running wine from the command line and not telling it I have a German keyboard here...

• Dan Francis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users