A User Tool that is there but not there

R. Mansfield

This is interesting.

I've got a user tool that I noticed the other day was not on my iPad even though I have DropBox syncing turned on. I just now remembered to look for it today.

Although it's listed in the Library and I can launch it, I can't find it in either the Documents/Accordance Files/User Tools or Dropbox/Apps/Accordance/User Tools. Nor is it in any of the subfolders of Library/Application Support/Accordance.

I can read the text just fine. I can open it for editing and make changes, but when I save changes and close the editing window, the changes don't hold. Then the file gets wonky (that's a technical term); it won't display the entire text, and it won't let me edit it again. I can only get it back if I restart Accordance.

Any ideas?

What is the full filename of the tool and where is it located on your hard drive?

The filename is ...And a Poem, which is my wife's book of Bible poems that she published. I created the User Tool version of it a couple of years ago.

Yes, that is an ellipsis, probably created with three periods as opposed to an actual ellipsis symbol. And the three periods may even be what's causing the problem.

As for where it's located--that's the question I'm asking. It's not turning up in any of the usual places.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 5.42.14 PM.png

By default filenames beginning with "." are invisible on Unixes. I would in a terminal either do a find or go to the likely directory - where your other user modules are - and do an ls -la which should expose it if its there.

Thx

D

Not mine I'm afraid - never been able to get my head around it :) I really must try again some day - but honestly find is faster and more reliable for me.

Hi Daniel. Good idea, though an ellipsis is not a period usually unless it is a false ellipsis (three typed periods) which of course it could be.

Spotlight doesn't work with hidden files unless someone knows a trick I don't.

Regardless, the file is there, but my command line is rusty. Trying to figure out how to rename the file.

mv <name of file in quotes if strange letters> <new name of file with quotes if spaces>

Ah, I bet that would've worked just fine. I ran the command

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean TRUE

​and all my hidden files magically appeared. I changed the name, removing the three periods, and I ran it again with FALSE at the end to turn them back hidden.

The file is now working fine, although I had to add the .acc7 extension to it to make it save changes. I have a number of User Tools without that extension. Is that something I need to add to all of them?

Under v10, the .acc7 (user tools) or acc4 (user notes), acc2 (User Bibles) and hlt (highlights) extensions are recommended. They are necessary in Windows. I am fairly sure that every new module will have extensions. And workspaces will have .accord

Edited by Ken Simpson

Well, here is what I've discovered. With older User Tools that do not have the extension, when I go to make changes, they do not save. If I uninstall the tool, add the extension, and reinstall it, it saves. But I'm not certain why some already have the extension and some do not.

Are new tools getting the extension by default now on Mac ? Or are some of the ones that already have it old ?

Perhaps try creating a new dummy one to see.

Thx

D

Do the older user tools still have their creator codes and file types still set?