Historical English Translations

Ploni

I think Accordance would do well to expand the number of its HISTORICAL ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS: Tyndale, Bishops, 1611 with original spelling, et al. There is a software package that offers these and other historical translations called "The Bible in English" which is a very expensive product, normally made available only to libraries. The suite is only available in old Windows software but the texts it offers are expertly produced and include among other versions, the New English Bible, which no other software company offers in electronic format. In addition this collection offers highly accurate critical electronic editions of these versions (unlike some that are distributed 'freely' on the Net and are riddled with typing errors and lack original notes, prefaces, etc).

I think it would be a boon to Accordance to acquire the rights to distribute this set in a reduced price

Forgive the two post that only quoted the original long message. I simply wanted to add my affirmation.

Jack

We do have several of these translations already:

Bishops'

Douay-Rheims

Geneva

King James

Weymouth

Webster

These and others are included in the Standard level of the Library 7.

I also find it hard to imagine that we could get the rights to use the etexts for a reasonable price, if the package you mention is so expensive.

• 5 months later...

The publisher is Chadwyck-Healey, and online access to their bible collection is often licensed by university libraries.

One of the more interesting historic translations to have in Accordance format would be the Great Bible, since it's used even today for the Psalter in the Book of Common Prayer. (I'd certainly like to buy it...)

Tyndale is available freely on the Internet, in fact I've already started creating my own original spelling Tyndale User Bible with the new features in 7.2.

With public domain texts available from the Internet, and the new User Bible features, can I sell my new User Bible Accordance Module to others? Should I sell it? I can see a whole new area opening up in the forum, for collaboration and creation of new Bible modules.

I'm sure this is going to be controversial!

Tyndale is available freely on the Internet, in fact I've already started creating my own original spelling Tyndale User Bible with the new features in 7.2.

With public domain texts available from the Internet, and the new User Bible features, can I sell my new User Bible Accordance Module to others? Should I sell it? I can see a whole new area opening up in the forum, for collaboration and creation of new Bible modules.

I'm sure this is going to be controversial!

Already done it, see my post "Tyndale NT" in the General Accordance Topics, so save yourself the trouble, anyone can have it for free who wants it - once the exchange opens up that is.

Well done John! Congratulations! I doubted I'd be the first.

I did discover some anomalies and discrepancies in my text of Tyndale, I wonder if you had any problems with yours?

~A!

Well done John! Congratulations! I doubted I'd be the first.

I did discover some anomalies and discrepancies in my text of Tyndale, I wonder if you had any problems with yours?

~A!

I am missing two verses, Ex 40:14 and Num 7:22, can't work out why.

Then there is Mark 11:26, but it is missing from most modern versions, KJV has it.

The text I have has, for example, 1Cor 10 29 twice, ie it has two consecutive verses numbered 29. The first of these is the same content as verse 26, but with different spelling.

This has made me doubt the accuracy of the whole text, which is disappointing.

Admittedly public domain etexts come with no guarantee, but then original Tyndale Testaments go for about 1 million quid each (ie the Bristol Baptist College copy)! This makes it slightly difficult to proof-read the etext. I have a modern spelling analogue codex of Tyndale, which is also helpful, but which is no doubt copyrighted. :(

• 1 year later...
We do have several of these translations already:

Bishops'

Douay-Rheims

Geneva

King James

Weymouth

Webster

Hi Helen

i don't believe you have the notes to the Geneva Bible - which i saw at Reformed Reader freely available to the online community.

is this something accordance could offer also (seeing as the notes are the most fascinating part of the GB - for me at least!)?

Cheers

Doug

Archived