#1 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

I think I'm about to bite the bullet and get the Accordance Q module. I know this is not the place to discuss theology, personal views, etc., so I'll not here elaborate on my skepticism about Q's actual existence, but I can see how the module would be helpful either way.

What I'm curious about is the possibility of a sort of Q for Q. If Jesus spoke Aramaic, then even whatever Greek source the Gospel writers used (to whatever extent they used sources) was already a translation of some kind.

It's a complicated issue, to be sure, but what I wonder if any of you know: has anyone attempted a reconstruction of all the words of Jesus in what they venture would have been the original Aramaic?

This is not an Accordance-specific question, but I don't know a smarter group of folks online to ask than the people on these forums. Also, if such a thing did exist, getting it in Accordance (tagged or not) would be awesome.

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

Accordance 11 on Yosemite: early 2008 iMac / late 2008 MacBook

Latest iAccord on latest iOS on iPad mini

#2 Peter Bekins

Peter Bekins

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Google "Aramaic retroversion." Many attempts have been made to reverse-translate Mark to a supposed Aramaic original. These are, of course, conjectural and often problematic.

#3 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Peter--to be clear, I don't mean an entire book of the NT, just words that the Gospel writers have on the lips of Jesus. I have been able to find a few things online. I agree with your "conjectural and often problematic"--which is just how I see Q, but I also see the value in having it nearby for study, nonetheless.

If such retroverted set of Jesus' sayings exists, I don't think I'd necessarily want Accordance to divert current attention to it, but at some point it might be nice to have.

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

Accordance 11 on Yosemite: early 2008 iMac / late 2008 MacBook

Latest iAccord on latest iOS on iPad mini

#4 waynedturner

waynedturner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

This is an interesting subject to me as well. For example, at the transfiguration, which Aramaic word did Peter likely use? Here are the three Greek translations.

Matthew 17:4 κύριος
Mark 9:5 ῥαββί
Luke 9:33 ἐπιστάτης
All three authors quote Peter, but use different Greek titles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users