I'd love to see GKC, Joļon/Muraoka, full BDB

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Tavalin

Ron Tavalin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Semitic Languages (Phoenician, Amorite, Moabite), Bible, Biblical and Inscriptional Hebrew, Koine Greek

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

Hello All

As great as the Hebrew tools are with Accordance, I would love to see three of the standard reference works - GKC, Joļon/Muraoka, and full BDB. I know that there are e-texts for Joļon/Muraoka, full BDB, and GKC's 2nd edition (all currently available on Logos). Despite their age they are still authoritative sources for all scholarly Hebrew work and area commonly cited in journals, other reference works and are regularly used in Bible schools and seminaries worldwide.

Ron Tavalin
Bible Department
Moody Bible Institute
Chicago, IL
Ron Tavalin
Special Instructor to the Bible Department
Bible and Biblical Languages
Moody Bible Institute
Chicago, IL 60089

#2 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:00 PM

You're not alone, Ron! I, too, hope that these venerable and still useful works make their way into the Accordance library at some point. I purchased the Logos unabridged BDB a few years ago (I believe they briefly sold a facsimile edition on CD before that) but found not a few typos in my attempts at using it, which did not bode well for its reliability. I believe there are serious attempts under way to revise at least the etymological information in BDB (which would probably entail, among other things, normalizing the presentation of cognates in transliteration, the use of English abbrevations, and some bibliographic updates); perhaps it would make sense to wait for the fruits of such a project before attempting to port BDB.

J. P. Kang
Research Associate
Princeton Theological Seminary
J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#3 Steve Loosley

Steve Loosley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:34 AM

I would love to see three of the standard reference works - GKC, Joļon/Muraoka, and full BDB.

I agree with GKC and Joļon/Muraoka; not sure about BDB.

#4 DLeavins

DLeavins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:52 AM

Yes- full BDB PLEASE!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users