Hebrew final kap with shwa

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dgarrett

dgarrett

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:My wife and toddlers, mountain biking, reading, writing, traveling, preaching, pastoring, theological studies at Harvard Divinity School

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:51 PM

I'm a Bib. Heb. student, and am trying to write a paper that includes a lot of Hebrew. Would someone please help me figure out how to insert a qamets or shwa into a final kaph, "embedded" like you would a dagesh? I use Mellel and Unicode fonts, e.g. Lucida Grande.

Thanks for your time!

DG

#2 Robb Brunansky

Robb Brunansky

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

Qamets is shift+option+j to get it into a final form. I'm having trouble finding the shewa...

I apologize, this is for the Yehudit font. I'll leave it in case others might find it helpful though...

Edited by Robb Brunansky, 15 November 2006 - 06:34 PM.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Robb Brunansky

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:14 PM

If you use Accordance (not in Unicode to exportable to Unicode), or Mellel, it should insert the correct accent after the prior letter. MS Word does not fully support Hebrew.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#4 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:28 PM

I'm a Bib. Heb. student, and am trying to write a paper that includes a lot of Hebrew. Would someone please help me figure out how to insert a qamets or shwa into a final kaph, "embedded" like you would a dagesh? I use Mellel and Unicode fonts, e.g. Lucida Grande.

As Helen notes, if you need to just cite biblical forms, you can turn on the Unicode export option in the Greek & Hebrew preferences, and just paste from the BHS-W4 text into Mellel.

Lucida Grande's Hebrew vowels and pointing do not render well in OS X. I recommend the free SBL Hebrew Unicode font, which Mellel has very good contextual suport for, and renders these vowels very nicely. These are the OS X Hebrew-QWERTY layout key combinations, regardless of position relative to the consonant:

Qamets = shift-a
Shewa = option-zero
and as a bonus,
Dagesh = option-period

Note that Mellel properly renders the dagesh and qamets on the final kaph as in Num 6.25.
J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#5 dgarrett

dgarrett

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:My wife and toddlers, mountain biking, reading, writing, traveling, preaching, pastoring, theological studies at Harvard Divinity School

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:06 PM

Thank you! SBL Hebrew works like a champ. It is the only font I could find that will create the correct final kaph. Again, thanks. DG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users