User Tool Font Display

Max Carlton

The font settings that I have in "Tool Display" (Display for ALL Tools and User Tools) are not reflected in my User Tools. Furthermore, when I try to change the display settings from within an individual User Tool by selecting "Use As Default for . . . ," then "Save," the setting is only reflected initially. It is not retained when I return to that User Tool after having opened a different Text, Tool, etc.

This occurs on both iPhone and iPad with iOS 7.0.6 and Accordance 1.7.2.

I had a similar issue this morning. Despite having my font set to Georgia 21 for *all* texts in the preference/settings section, NRSV opened with a different font and size. iPad mini on latest iOS7 with Accordance 1.7.2. Something seems awry.

And if your bring up the text display settings for that particular module, does it still show Georgia as the font?

I don't know. I changed it already to be what I wanted it to be. But I just tested again and opened a new version (that I hadn't yet opened in iOS)--"The Message." Same issue there--it should open as Georgia 21, but opens instead as Helvetica 18, which is what its display settings show (in that particular module), even though my Text Display ("for ALL Bible and other texts") says Georgia 21.

UPDATE: this happens with every Bible text I'm selecting, if it hasn't been recently/ever opened. FWIW, BHS-T is my top text and this issue is coming in the bottom text in the second pane.

Hmm. Something reset it them. What happens if you go back into the display settings view accessed from the Library and reset it again? Do newly open views respect the change made?

Edited by Scott Knapp

If I bring up the text display settings for the particular module (for me, it's only User Tools that have the problem), it shows and always defaults back to Helvetica 16. If I change the setting to what I want, select "Use as Default . . .," then "Save," it will retain that new setting until I switch to another module. When I return to the previous module it defaults back to Helvetica 16. This also happens no matter what I have set in the display settings accessed from the Library. For example, I have Tool Display from the Library set to Verdana 16. General Tools and Reference Tools will open correctly. But User Tools will always open with Helvetica 16 no matter what I have set in the Library settings.

Scott--

I had already tried going back to the library and verifying I had Georgia 21 in Text Display settings, then tapping Save. No difference.

However, just now, I changed the font from Georgia, didn't save, then changed back to Georgia, and saved, and now the texts are opening properly.

But they should have opened properly in the first place, and I don't remember seeing this as an issue before 1.7.2.

Also, somehow the above process reset the font size on my already-open BHS-T.

UPDATE: yes, I can reproduce the last thing I mentioned. I have Yehudit 48 as font size in BHS-T (saved via "Use as Default for BHS-T"). NLT-SE (but it could be anything) is open with Georgia 21 in the parallel pane.

I then go to Display Settings/Text Display in the library, and no matter what I do (even if I only click on Save at top right), the BHS font then reverts to Yehudit 30, even though that's not its setting.

However, if I go to Display Settings/Text Display in the library and select Cancel in the top left, when I tap Done and go back, BHS is unchanged.

So there's a bug that is at least somehow related to tapping "Save" in the Text Display settings area. I don't know whether it's the same thing causing the issues Max is seeing, but seems it is at least related.

Problems with user content text display settings being ignored is a separate issue.

The reversion of your BHS-T font size is due to tapping save in the global text display settings view. When saving the global display settings, all custom settings are overwritten with the global defaults. The reason you're seeing a font size of 30 is that we scale the default font size saved for Greek and Hebrew text modules. So if you set a global font size of 21 for English texts, it's being scaled to 30 for Hebrew texts and probably something like 24 for Greek texts.

Edited by Scott Knapp

Okay, yeah that makes sense. (And, Max, sorry for jumping in on on your thread in what turned out to be different issues.)

I did wonder about that afterwards, Scott. It's still odd, though, since Yehudit is nowhere to be found in the global settings (unless I missed it), and yet it's affected by what is saved there. Might not a user expect that how s/he sets up BHS-T will be unaffected by even a global settings preference, since the latter doesn't include the Hebrew font anywhere? That's what I would have thought, anyway.

UPDATE: pressed enter too soon. Also, the above still leaves me at a loss for why my global settings weren't properly applying to all texts as expected. I'd be curious to hear if any other users have had a similar issue, or if you (Scott) can reproduce it?

The actual font shown in the global text display settings primarily applies to English texts. Yehudit and Helena are considered "built in" fonts and really only used for our Hebrew and Greek modules. We've talked about adding separate font settings for Greek and Hebrew in the global display settings but have not because it starts to get even more complicated. Where do we stop? Should we add global choices for Chinese or Korean modules?

So far I haven't been able to reproduce the issue of the display settings not sticking for anything other than user bibles and user tools.

The actual font shown in the global text display settings primarily applies to English texts. Yehudit and Helena are considered "built in" fonts and really only used for our Hebrew and Greek modules. We've talked about adding separate font settings for Greek and Hebrew in the global display settings but have not because it starts to get even more complicated. Where do we stop? Should we add global choices for Chinese or Korean modules?

Sure. Then maybe could modules with fonts that don't show in global settings somehow be made immune to global settings? And the user could know, in that case, that changing Yehudit (or a Korean font, or anything else not in global settings) would have to happen within a given module that has that font, and then stick, no matter whether they changed from Verdana to Georgia in global settings?

I have no idea whether this is "expected" iOS behavior generally, but it would be intuitive at least to this user, FWIW.

On the other issue--I'll see if I can reproduce it. It seems that it only happened with 1.7.2, so I wonder if it's just something that happens when one runs 1.7.2 until repeating the extra steps I mentioned here.