Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,773 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Rick and Graham,

many thanks for checking this.  

We're working on some additional enhancements in Accordance to help with the accuracy of links when the target module is not installed, but it's a bit complicated (it always is when working with the Pseudepigrapha). 

Can I make a somewhat serious suggestion? Use the current 20% off sale to buy Charlesworth if you are at all serious about reading / researching the OT Pseudepigrapha. ;) Not only is it the authoritative version for these texts, the book introductions and essays are invaluable for getting a grasp on their complex nature.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#23 Enoch

Enoch

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

Ken:

It looks like Accordance has made a great contribution towards Historical-Grammatical interpretation with this tool.  Maybe I will spring for it during the sale.

#24 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,335 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hi Enoch, it is a very interesting resource. It is a background tool, not a direct grammatical aid as you so rightly suggest. I don't always agree with his thoughts about like to other material, but always find it stimulating to think about. Clontz has done an amazing job in putting it all together. And I am told he is an engineer!

Edited by Ken Simpson, 28 March 2014 - 05:00 PM.

Regards
Ken
Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#25 accord

accord

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

We're working on some additional enhancements in Accordance to help with the accuracy of links when the target module is not installed, but it's a bit complicated (it always is when working with the Pseudepigrapha). 

Can I make a somewhat serious suggestion? Use the current 20% off sale to buy Charlesworth if you are at all serious about reading / researching the OT Pseudepigrapha. ;) Not only is it the authoritative version for these texts, the book introductions and essays are invaluable for getting a grasp on their complex nature.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Rick,  10.4.1 update has addressed the link accuracy… thank you!!!!

Perhaps you can tell me if Charlesworth covers everything found within Charles and Evans?  I can see from certain links Charlesworth has material not found in the other two.  Your answer will help me with my decision regarding your above suggestion.

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.4, 2.8 GHz i7, 8 GB HHD 

#26 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,773 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Rick,  10.4.1 update has addressed the link accuracy… thank you!!!!

Perhaps you can tell me if Charlesworth covers everything found within Charles and Evans?  I can see from certain links Charlesworth has material not found in the other two.  Your answer will help me with my decision regarding your above suggestion.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm glad the update addresses the accuracy for you. Note that it is not perfect. We found cases where book names and versification between Charlesworth (PSEUD-CW) and Charles (PSEUD) make it impossible for the links to be 100% accurate across editions. We are, however, going to look into standardizing some book names in Charles according to Charlesworth, which will help further (but may break some old links to Charles - again, a messy situation).

As for the comparison of the three editions, Charlesworth is the most comprehensive. I did a quick look into the number of books included in each, and here are the numbers: Charlesworth (84), Charles (36), Evans (74). But, remember that Evans is only a translation of Greek fragments, whereas Charlesworth encompasses multiple source languages. And, neither Charles nor Evans include similar introductory essays and introductions.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#27 accord

accord

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm glad the update addresses the accuracy for you. Note that it is not perfect. We found cases where book names and versification between Charlesworth (PSEUD-CW) and Charles (PSEUD) make it impossible for the links to be 100% accurate across editions. We are, however, going to look into standardizing some book names in Charles according to Charlesworth, which will help further (but may break some old links to Charles - again, a messy situation).

As for the comparison of the three editions, Charlesworth is the most comprehensive. I did a quick look into the number of books included in each, and here are the numbers: Charlesworth (84), Charles (36), Evans (74). But, remember that Evans is only a translation of Greek fragments, whereas Charlesworth encompasses multiple source languages. And, neither Charles nor Evans include similar introductory essays and introductions.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yes, thank you for your reply!

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.4, 2.8 GHz i7, 8 GB HHD 

#28 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study...I am an active member of KI (Chuck Missler ) and seek to understand and apply the Bible to my life...I bought Accordance to help with my original language studies..I would like to be able to understand what the writers meant to say (I realize there are multiple meanings in the same verses)..not just depend on a translation...

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

I really like this resource and I think I have now purchased all the resources that Accordance links to (the 20% sale is a great time to do this)....I hope that Accordance will continue to update and add resources that are referenced....I hope that helps

Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users