#21 Corey Farcas

Corey Farcas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:text criticism, intertextuality, biblical languages
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

I agree. I've had some trouble with formatting these kinds of results for export, too.

In fact, it would be nice if these results were in table form within Accordance, separated by tabs. When there is no data, simply insert a space and a tab.

I second this. Though in a tab format already, it would be nice to see consistency throughout the word chart, parsing chart, and the analytics for words count. Then each column would be the same throughout: "Lemma | Root | Gloss | Count" etc. The "=" would be unnecessary for the count and could (should be in opinion) removed. Same with the parenthesis around the root form. The export would become extremely ideal for the common purposes of vocab lists, etc.

Corey Farcas
MDiv/MABL '15
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

cfarcas@gcts.edu

#22 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,668 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Hi, Corey!

I'd recommend always using the parsing chart for vocab lists. Its tabs now line up perfectly.

We can select an entire passage, if we want every word in a passage; we can also do a search for unusual words using the [COUNT] command and set the Parsing preferences to show only hit words. See podcast #74) Building Vocabulary.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#23 Corey Farcas

Corey Farcas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Dr. J,

Thanks for pointer. Parsing chart can be really valuable, creating an instant reader guide. For vocab lists though I prefer the analysis window because there are no repeated words in this feature. For flashcard lists that's the best format.

It would be great to see the analysis window include the root for every word and then allow for a sort via that root. At present I do a work around in numbers so I can then sort by root and create a custom vocab list with related words all together.

Corey Farcas
MDiv/MABL '15
cfarcas@gcts.edu

#24 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,668 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

Good point, Corey, and a nice suggestion for others.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#25 Corey Farcas

Corey Farcas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

To follow up on the creating great vocab lists with roots, here's a short work flow (for Mac). Hope it works well for those interested!

1) Find the words you want from Accordance and open them in an Analysis window (this can get complicated – for another post).

2) Prepare a vocab list arranged by root with three columns: Root, Lemma, Gloss

2a) Copy and paste Accordance list into Numbers

2b) Clean up the list so that all you're left with is three columns: Lemma, (Root), and Gloss

2c) Arrange the spreadsheet according to Lemmas so you can see all the word (always the verbs) that only have a Lemma (which doubles as their Root) 

2d) Copy and paste those Lemmas and Glosses of those words over one so that the words have a Lemma, Root, and Gloss

2e) Rearrange columns so that the order is Root, Lemma, Gloss

3) Export list into tab files (e.g. for Quizlet)

3a) Remove the parenthesis

3b) Arrange the spreadsheet according to Roots (Numbers can arrange alphabetically in Hebrew now)

3c) Copy and paste // export only the Lemma and Gloss columns into vocab app

End Result: Vocab List with words grouped by Root.

Other options: Add parenthesis to the Roots without them and then merge the Lemma with Roots – Lemma (Root), Gloss. You can also keep the frequency count. In any case I hope this helps!

PS – It would still be great to have the analysis window operate more like a spreadsheet and every word (verbs included) to list a Root. #FEATURE REQUEST

Blessings,

Corey Farcas
MDiv/MABL '15
cfarcas@gcts.edu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users