Parallel Versions

yetsirah

What is the easiest way to view parallel versions?

I don't really want to have to click the "add pane"

button every time I want to compare versions/translations

of different bibles. Is there a simply way to set this up?

A one clicker would be best. It is one of the features that

I used often in BW that I miss the most in Accordance.

I am guessing that it is just a user issue.

Help?

jay

Jay,

It sounds like you are clicking the Add Pane button to open a new pane with the default Bible text, then changing that pane to the desired text. But if you'll look closely at the Add Pane buttons, you'll notice this little downward-pointing black triangle. That indicates that if you click and hold on the button, a pop-up menu will appear listing all of your translations. Simply, click, hold, then select the translation you want. It's designed to be a one-step process, not a two-step process.

You can also set up a window with the number of panes you want, and then save that as your default setup.

Hope this helps.

Jay,

It sounds like you are clicking the Add Pane button to open a new pane with the default Bible text, then changing that pane to the desired text. But if you'll look closely at the Add Pane buttons, you'll notice this little downward-pointing black triangle. That indicates that if you click and hold on the button, a pop-up menu will appear listing all of your translations. Simply, click, hold, then select the translation you want. It's designed to be a one-step process, not a two-step process.

You can also set up a window with the number of panes you want, and then save that as your default setup.

Hope this helps.

No, I was using the drop down.

I was just looking for something a little more streamlined. I had created a multiple version pane. But I just wasn't sure if there was a better way to do it. One that was a bit more usable.

thank you.

j

Can you elaborate on what you mean by more usable?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by more usable?

Like a way to define text sets that will show up in a single tab rather than spread a cross several tabs. That would be more usable to me. I like the tabs. I like the ability to use either a tab or a group of tabs. but I would like to define text sets could be opened in tabs or in parallel within one tab.

Like a way to define text sets that will show up in a single tab rather than spread a cross several tabs. That would be more usable to me. I like the tabs. I like the ability to use either a tab or a group of tabs. but I would like to define text sets could be opened in tabs or in parallel within one tab.

I believe Jay is referring to the default line-by-line view in BibleWorks. To my knowledge, Accordance does not display texts interlinearly except as an option in printing parallel texts (under File > Print Settings...; and note the option to print to PDF in OS X).

To follow up on David's suggestion, you could configure a set of frequently used parallel texts and then easily use or duplicate (apple-d) that tab any time you wanted to see a citation in the most frequently used texts. You could even set up a separate workspace for these kinds of lookups.

I would like to see this also. I was excited about the text sets option in 7, until I realized that it pulled the sets up in tabs rather than in panes. I have saved a workspace with the panes set up as defaults, but there are times when it would be handier for me to be able to choose a text set from a contextual menu.

I am not needing the interlinear style so much as just wanting to define a set of texts in a single tab. The panes are great the tabs are great. But I want to define if I want tabs or pane view when I define a set of texts.

David the main problem with making a default setting is that I can no longer view the last session. I use this constantly.

It doesn't sound like what I am wanting is possible.

Ok, well...

thank you. Being an ex-developer (in Flash) I understand the troubles of feature requests. But this could be really handy for a lot of people

David the main problem with making a default setting is that I can no longer view the last session. I use this constantly.

I think you are confusing the default session with a saved session. You can save any set of windows or workspaces as a session and reopen it, apart from defaulting to last session. The file is saved in your user/Documents/Accordance files. Use the File menu to save it. Reopen the file and reuse the windows any way you want.

I think you are confusing the default session with a saved session. You can save any set of windows or workspaces as a session and reopen it, apart from defaulting to last session. The file is saved in your user/Documents/Accordance files. Use the File menu to save it. Reopen the file and reuse the windows any way you want.

No confusion. I understand that. David was suggesting that I set it as my default session. Which takes away the ability for Accord. to open last session. I also understand that I can save a session and then open>browse>select>open. 4 or more clicks (or keystrokes) depending on where you were last when you were in your directory.

If the text sets worked so that they could open as panes within one tab then it would be one click. Done.

Mainly I was trying to understand if Accord text sets could open in a pane. I understand that they don't.

From a one verses 4 (or more) clicks/keystrokes it would be a nice feature.

j

Jay,

Why not save the various workspace set-ups you want to use into a folder and place that folder in your OS X dock? Then any time you need one you simply need to click and hold on the folder and then select the Workspace you want from the menu?

You do raise an interesting idea, though. It seems you're wanting a pop-up on the Resource palette for opening and amplifying to specific saved window files. Text sets let you search every text in the set. Opening these texts as panes within a single window would mean only being able to search one of them. But a pop-up containing saved window files would be a way to do what you're asking.

From one developer to another: Get to it ;)

Yeah, that sounds good. My main thing is that I am often comparing multiple texts. So I am often searching and then expanding through a different version. Then expanding, etc... So yes something that would let me search every text and then compare then would be wonderful.

That was probably an additional thought to what you were saying. Let's see how big we can make this monster huh? Kidding.

Thank you for the ideas David and Helen. I will create a useful work around. In the mean time a "simple" "open in panes view" within the Text Sets would be a nice 7.1.5. :) **mostly joking**

Jay,

Why not save the various workspace set-ups you want to use into a folder and place that folder in your OS X dock? Then any time you need one you simply need to click and hold on the folder and then select the Workspace you want from the menu?

You do raise an interesting idea, though. It seems you're wanting a pop-up on the Resource palette for opening and amplifying to specific saved window files. Text sets let you search every text in the set. Opening these texts as panes within a single window would mean only being able to search one of them. But a pop-up containing saved window files would be a way to do what you're asking.

I have a specific example of what I think is the sort of thing being asked for, and which would be quite helpful to me if it were possible eventually to do. Currently I'm working on Paul's use of biblical quotations. I frequently do a search for Greek phrases in one of the letters and the LXX. With a text set, I can perform a search on GNT-T and LXX at the same time. What I cannot do automatically, however, is have the LXX tab come up with a BHS-4 or NRSV pane in parallel, or have the GNT-T tab come up with an NRSV pane in parallel. Since searches are performed on only one pane at a time, having GNT-T/NRSV or LXX/BHS-4/NRSV wouldn't prevent me from doing a search in Greek if I were using tabs already displayed. The feature "missing" from Text Sets is the ability to set which panes appear (and have search-focus) in each tab.

What you can do now is set up your two existing tabs, then use the LINK command to link them. For example, you would do your search in the tab with GNT-T as the search text, and in the tab with LXX as the search text you would put [LINK GNT-T]. Thus, whenever you do a search in the first tab the same search will be performed in the second window, and you'll keep all your existing panes.

Archived