8 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Saunders

Daniel Saunders

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

According to Apple, the new version of Apple Pages should be able to support Right-To-Left languages (i.e. Hebrew), but I'm having some trouble with this.

Whether I copy Unicode Hebrew from Accordance or if I type it in using the HebrewTH keyboard, I don't see the 'Change Direction' button showing up in the menu, nor do I get the extra entries in the Format->Text menu that I've seen referred to on the net.

Does anyone here know the tricks to get Hebrew working with Pages 5?

Assistant Minister at Kenmore Presbyterian Church

Mac user because of Accordance

#2 Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Have you also tried switching the OS X keyboard to "Hebrew" when doing it? I haven't tried yet, but wonder if it'd trigger something.

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

#3 Daniel Saunders

Daniel Saunders

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Great idea Nathan.

I'd been using the HebrewTH keyboard from Tyndale House, but for some reason this font must link fully into OS X and doesn't tell Pages that I'm using a Right-To-Left language.

However if I use the included Hebrew-Qwerty keyboard, and have that keyboard 'active' when I paste from Accordance I get right-to-left working. The Hebrew-Qwerty keyboard seems to have vowels (the other two keyboards are consonantal only) though not more advanced punctuation - but then again I don't type much hebrew, more copying and pasting.

#4 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

A quick test confirms Nathan's suggestion - I get characters that I cannot read but I also get the change direction button in the Style - Alignment pane.

I just installed the TH maps and its interesting. It seems that while the OSX Hebrew keyboard when selected causes Pages to automatically switch to RTL the TH one does not. That said I do see the RTL/LTR switch button and that works fine. So it seems that there might be something missing in the TH keyboard definition.

The Cardo font is kinda nice for Greek though.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler, 12 May 2014 - 09:45 PM.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop

Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge

12GB RAM                                8GB RAM

Accordance 10.4.2.1                     Accordance 10.4.2.2 and Aleph 10.4.3b1

OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#5 Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

Sounds good. So basically you do have to switch to OS X's Hebrew Keyboard for it to work? I'd love to see how well Hebrew text is working in Pages since I'm probably taking Hebrew next semester.

By the way, anyone got an iPad running Pages (or should I try testing it on my iPad)? I'm wondering if Apple added in the Hebrew support to Pages for iOS. I've been doing light paper typing on my iPad and a lot of my class work (lectures, reading, etc) from my iPad.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

#6 Daniel Saunders

Daniel Saunders

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:08 AM

Nathan,

I don't think you need to 'switch' to the Hebrew Keyboard. It might just be that it's got to be 'installed' (i.e. in your list of keyboards) and then when you (re)start Pages, all the RTL features appear.

I haven't tried with iPad yet - but for what I've seen online, RTL support came to iPad before it came to Mac.

D

#7 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,740 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

For what it's worth, I emailed the person who created the Tyndale House keyboard layouts, and he was not aware of this issue with Pages, and does not plan to try and fix it since it is unique to Pages.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#8 EricC

EricC

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

For what it's worth, I emailed the person who created the Tyndale House keyboard layouts, and he was not aware of this issue with Pages, and does not plan to try and fix it since it is unique to Pages.

I noticed in the package that comes with the Tyndale House keyboard layouts (http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/unicode) that there are instructions on how to make them. Looked confusing to me, but I'm sure someone on the forum would be able to tweak it to work with Pages 5, unless there is some technical barrier.

#9 Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Nathan,

I don't think you need to 'switch' to the Hebrew Keyboard. It might just be that it's got to be 'installed' (i.e. in your list of keyboards) and then when you (re)start Pages, all the RTL features appear.

I haven't tried with iPad yet - but for what I've seen online, RTL support came to iPad before it came to Mac.

D

Thanks for the info about the iPad and installed keyboards in general. I'll play around with it some more since I have the Hebrew keyboard enabled in OS X and iOS. Sounds great that Pages is working on better RTL support.

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hebrew, Mac, Pages, Right to left

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users