Uploading PDF and Tagging a Passage

rkbishop

I've traced a passage via BibleArc and would like to upload my PDF to Accordance and tag it to a passage/book so I can have it in my workspace throughout the series. Is this possible?

No, Accordance cannot read or incorporate the PDF. The most it can do is link a user tool to it as an external file. Sorry!

Might Accordance create that functionality in the future?

Also, in the meantime, how would I link to a user tool?

It is not currently possible to upload or embed files into Accordance. The best you can do is to create a user tool and link to the file. Here is an example of the command:

file:///Users/Steve/Documents/Accordance Files/Links/Chart - Abraham.png

You need to make this a 'link' in the tool (shortcut is 'cmd l'). The information about how to do this is in the help files (See http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX10/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/create_links_in_user_tools.htm%3FTocPath%3DDigging%2520Deeper%7CCreating%2520Your%2520Own%2520Modules%7CUser%2520Tools%7CEditing%2520User%2520Tools%7C_____4). Note that you cannot link to external files from User Notes only from User Tools.

Edited by Steve King

rkbishop--

If you are accessing User Tools or Notes via multiple computers, you might also considering uploading your arc/image (.jpg) to Dropbox and copy-pasting the Dropbox link into the Accordance User Tool or User Note (which are also syncable via Dropbox), so that you can access it from anywhere.

If you link to Dropbox, you will want to make sure the file paths are the same for all the computers. So if you have a Mac and a PC, you might need to have two links in the note or tool.

Revtim--I thought a Dropbox url worked just like a Web url, so would be cross-platform?

PDF files into Accordance?

This has been around for more than a few a few years. My work around is as follows (allowing for copyright considerations):

PDFs that I want into Accordance end up as a "User Tool". This can be "QED" if one has Adobe Acrobat and M.S. Word applications.

Open the PDF in Acrobat and Save As a M.S. Word Document. Then open the Word Doc in M.S. Word and do any modifications that you require, then save the doc as a
html file. You now can make an Accordance "User Tool" in the usual way.

I have been successfully making my PDFs into Accordance "User Tools" for years now.

Edited by Wazza

Wazza,

WIll this work with Open Office instead of Microsoft Word?

In the original question the PDF is a diagram and that cannot be imported into a user tool so converting to word and then HTML is not an option.

Edited by Steve King

Diagraming or no diagraming, the spirit of the posting is about uploading PDF files to Accordance….

As I have heard the question of importing PDF files into Accordance spoken of often at the Accordance Seminars, that I have attended (mostly in private conversation) and that I have solved this problem in a very simple way. So, I am sharing my experience, I believe that is what any Forum is about.

One can create a very substantial library, that one can create from documents that are in the "Public Domain", that can be made into Accordance "User Tools".

• Like 1

Hi Wazza,

This is interesting. Do you own Acrobat (not just the free reader) or are you using the online service launched from the reader ? I ask because while I don't want to spring for Acrobat itself I might consider the conversion service. If you are using it I'd be interested in knowing how good it is. So if I can a couple of questions :

1. has it had any difficulty with large documents ?

2. can it OCR - I notice there is an option to recognize text in a language - alas it seems it cannot do bilingual which would be cool - but then it does not seem to support Greek of any kind.

Gordon, if you can get a word doc I would expect that you could open that with Open Office. I use LibreOffice and it can open MS Office docs.

Thx

D

I was reflecting on this at the Sydney seminar on the weekend - in retrospect, it would've been good to copy all my seminary outlines into Accordance and work on them from there, so that I could have links and all in the same place, and also so that I can refer to them more often (it's much quicker to look to Accordance than to search through my computer).

Maybe once Accordance for PC has dropbox sync capabilities I might take some time off and start creating user tools of all my notes!

Diagraming or no diagraming, the spirit of the posting is about uploading PDF files to Accordance….

Hi Wazza,

That is true and I was not trying to stop you sharing this important information but just to make sure that rkbishop was aware that this would not solve his particular problem.

I was not aware that Adobe offered an online service for PDF conversion until Daniel mentioned it so if that works effectively it may be worth considering it - certainly a lot easier than copying information from a PDF into word which I have done in the past.

Regards

Steve

Edited by Steve King

Hello Steve King & Daniel Semier,

I have had Acrobat since version 2 and now have Acrobat that comes with "CS6" (all Mac OS) and find it very useful, especially in collecting Web Pages that don't print to PDF very well. At this point, I am not interested in Adobe's "Online Services" and I have noticed that Adobe's profits ($$$$) are down since they started the Online thing. I know many "Professionals" that use Adobe software for their living, do not like the purchase aspect that Adobe has imposed.

I have found "OpenOffice" software (Free) is a good substitute for MS Word, for those who don't have Word. Or, Apple's TextEdit works for me, as well.

As for Accordance, I have had it since Version 2 and each Upgrade is very well thought out. In some ways, I miss the old "Resource Palette". For me, it was more noticeable than the current "Tool Bar" and I used it more often. Perhaps, in a future Accordance version, the Tool Bar Icons could be made more noticeable.

Regards

Wazza

Thx. I tend to use Zotero if I am doing research and need to grab web pages. Other than that I just don't have use for CS sufficient to justify the cost. If I try the online PDF thing I'll let people know how it goes.

Thx

D

If anyone on this thread has used Adobe to convert from pdf to Word (to then import into Accordance for a User Tool), I'd be curious to hear about it. It may be worth the $2/month to just take a month and convert some of my .pdfs to User Tools... if Adobe gives a decent export into Word.

Hey Abram,

I have not yet used it. I have been playing with conversion a little. On PC I have found a free tool (UniPDF) that does the basic conversion. But my example doc used a Mac font (Yehudit for Hebrew) and this is not available on PC readily - you can convert fonts, but fonts are licensed entities so its not without other issues depending upon the fonts. I have yet to do more testing but I think what I need to do is convert the doc on Mac and then rework all the Yehudit use to a TrueType or Open Font of some kind - Cardo perhaps which I am using a on both platforms. One problem you'll have is if the PDF is essentially images. If it is then you'll need to do OCR which can be done by the Adobe thing, but if its a language text you'll want to do multi-lingual OCR which is a good deal rarer. And so far I am working with a test doc with images which of course will not import into a User Tool yet. I am really hanging out for that enhancement because I have a user tool I wish to develop which needs this.

That's just a potpourri of issues I've so far run into.

Thx

D

Thanks, Daniel--now that I know how to use User Tools, I, too, am looking forward to future enhancements Accordance may offer.

I think for now I'm going to just start with English text-based tools. If I do make any progress, I'll post again here to let you and others know how Adobe to Word to .htm to User Tool goes.

Just a quick FYI on this. I took the doc again and converted it with a trial version of a PDF tool on Mac and that correctly converted the Yehudit. But the layout and such were not as good UniPDF on Windows and the Hebrew was almost bold (but not tagged bold - not sure what caused that) which it wasn't in PDF, and it dropped the images - ooops. So I need to find a decent tool for conversion. But it can be done and font availability does make a difference.

thx
D

Edited by Daniel Semler