Idea Search?

kldbible

Say I want to know what the Bible says on a certain topic (i.e. "God controls mankind"), I do that kind of search on Google and it would give back all the verses that relate to that idea or topic.

How do I perform that kind of search with Accordance?

Please advise.

Google doesn't really do the work for you; it simply finds what other people have compiled. The most similar option I can think of is a topical dictionary like the Bible Themes dictionary.

Agreed...I use what Jonathan mentioned as often as I can--it's a good resource.

There are probably some ways you could fake this kind of search a little bit in Accordance. To Jonathan's point, Google and Accordance searches work differently. But in Accordance, using a Greek New Testament (with parallel English) as an example, this search:

Θεος <WITHIN 2 Words> [VERB] <WITHIN 2 Words> κοσμος

Gives you every time "God" and any verb and "world" occur in close proximity to each other. (You can change the number from 2 to whatever.) It yields these results:

post-31802-0-46372000-1400793075_thumb.png

Again--not totally what you're looking for, but this kind of a search can at least give some ideas...Better yet, you could set up a construct search like this.

post-31802-0-37334000-1400793452_thumb.png

No Greek required for a "Simple" construct (and you can also set up a Greek one, like the above search string). I don't think you can use the "VERB" tag in an English-only search. However, the asterisk turns up mostly verbs anyway, coming as it does between "God" and "world."

Thank you, Jonathan and Abram! That's really helpful.

How do I set up that "Simple" construct on iPad / iPhone?

I don't think you can do construct searches in iOS.

Hopefully, Accordance will implement construct searches on iOS.

How do I save a construct search so next time I won't have to set that up again?

Thanks!

I think you have to save the workspace that you have the construct set up in. (You can probably see up at the top where to enter the description of your construct, but you can save the workspace under any name.)

I don't have Accordance in front of me right now, so can't test this to confirm.

You can save the workspace containing both the search and the results, or you could save just the construct under File -> Save Active Tab.

DICTIONARY OF BIBLE THEMES might be very helpful for you.

-Dan

I'd recommend finding the appropriate section in a systematic theology, then using its Scriptures. I often use Strong's Sys Theo for this sort of thing. I don't always agree with his theology, but he includes a lot of possibilities for scriptural support. I weed through them and pick the ones I like best.

I probably also ought to mention that regularly reading large sections of the Bible will also familiarize us with these sorts of verses. Many professional clergy have broad liberal arts backgrounds, then get into seminary and have very few actual classes in the Bible. Once they graduate, they prepare sermons and Bible studies by digging deeply into small sections of Scripture. In short, our training and methodology does not provide us with a broad knowledge of the Bible's content.

• Like 2