Jump to content


Photo

Problem importing files as a User Tool

user tool problem importing

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrt45

mrt45

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

Accordance 10.4.2.2 / Windows 7

 

I am attempting to import a document as a user tool.  The original document is saved as a MSWord doc.  I have tried converting it both into a .txt file and a .htm file and then attempted to import each file as a user tool.  I am able to import both file types but there are problems with the tool that is produced.  Here are the problems.

 

When I import it as a .txt file it creates hundreds of Title marks in odd places causing the TOC for the tool to be unusable.  It would take me way to long to manually remove all the Title marks in the editor unless there is some way to remove all of them with one command.

 

When I import as an .htm document it only creates one Title mark at the beginning, so no problem there, but it converts every TAB character into a series of odd characters at the beginning of each paragraph.  However when I try to remove them and update I get an error message that "The Book of "Kings" cannot be found". So it won't let me do any editing of the file that was imported as an .htm file.

 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you so much.


Mark Turney


#2 Steve King

Steve King

    Gold

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, UK
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:01 AM

I would suggest that you remove the tabs in word. You could use find and replace to do that. Tab is a special character ^t. If you search for that you can replace it with something else - possibly space or nothing depending where they appear. Then save as HTML. Then import.

Importing works best by getting the word file sorted out first. A bit of trial and error may be needed.

#3 mrt45

mrt45

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

Thank you Steve for the suggestions.  I did remove all the tabs and that took care of the problem of the strange characters appearing after the conversion but it I still am unable to edit the module in Accordance.  When I try to edit the document that was imported as an HTML doc it gives me an error message that the book of Kings cannot be found and it refuses to update.  


Mark Turney


#4 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

    Platinum

  • Accordance
  • 1,304 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney, Australia
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

HI Mark,

I have no extra suggestions for you, but if you would be willing to share the user tool with me (I won't circulate or use it myself) I would be happy to look at the formatting issues and see if I can see the problem. It can be quite finicky getting the User Tools right, and I am still trying to get one I created to work properly. I can't figure out what's wrong. 

 

So, if you could email me the word file (if you are happy) I'll have a look. Probably not for a couple of days though, if that's OK.

 

ksimpson [at] accordancebible <dot> com

 

it would be better not to post it in the forum.


Regards
Ken
Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church


#5 Steve King

Steve King

    Gold

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, UK
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

The problem that the book of kings cannot be found might be caused by an invalid linked reference in the user tool or possibly a heading that consists of a linked reference only (I think headings can have linked references in them but they cannot be a linked reference on its own). Importing with HTML will automatically link any references it finds.

 

Depending on the size of the user tool have a scan through and see if you can spot any reference links that look wrong.







Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: user tool, problem, importing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users