#21 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

FYI there are a fair number of cases that look like books for the iPad even found more than a few that say Holy Bible on them....

-Dan

#22 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

[Chuckle] Yep. I use a knock off of a Twelfth South book cover. It does look like a leather-covered Bible. (chuckle)

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#23 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

I have a twelve south cover... you are probably wise to go with a knock off... Mine had to have it's plastic corners reinforced after breaking and elastic band needed to be sewn up to make the front camera usable as well as to keep the iPad from slipping out. I do know they have made many changes since mine was bought but I was less than impressed with mine... I did place a cross on mine but wasn't to hide it as a Bible just wanted it on my case.

-Dan

Attached File  myBookBook.jpg   168.33KB   1 downloads

#24 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

Nice!

I have a real Twelve South cover on my iPhone and have been very happy with it. I have had people mistake it for a pocket NT.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

#25 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,826 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

I have a twelve south cover... you are probably wise to go with a knock off... Mine had to have it's plastic corners reinforced after breaking and elastic band needed to be sewn up to make the front camera usable as well as to keep the iPad from slipping out. I do know they have made many changes since mine was bought but I was less than impressed with mine... I did place a cross on mine but wasn't to hide it as a Bible just wanted it on my case.

-Dan

attachicon.gifmyBookBook.jpg

I had the original BookBook for iPad and loved it; no issues at all. They did make big improvements on the newer edition though. But, when I went to the iPad Mini I got the Apple smart case; I wanted something more slimline. I do miss my BookBook, and the comments I would get when carrying it. One server at a restaurant thought I was reading an ancient book (close!). :)

• davidmedina likes this

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#26 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

What are some good knockoff brands to consider?

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

#27 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

I purchased this one. I'm pretty rough on my cases and use my iPad mini consistently. I'm guessing this cover will only last me about a year, but I am really happy with it: http://www.amazon.co...eather keyboard

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

#28 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Great--thanks, Tim!

Abram K-J

#29 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Don;t get me wrong...I like my book book but both corner tabs ripped repaired with brown duct  tape. And several times grabbing it dropped my iPad on the ground not being zipped... no real harm to my iPad, but I went to a Zazzle one no zippers just a printed case, but after a few months of use i had to reinforce the spine with duct tape, and I noticed numerous little holes in edges. I went back to my BookBook which i think was only about 10-15 dollars more and since sewing the cross band up making it into 2 upper corners i find it very good. I cannot fault twelveSouth's quality on the exterior of the BookBook

#30 Peter Whitcombe

Peter Whitcombe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

I have been using my iPad 2 for preaching every Sunday for the last couple of years. I create a PDF file with white & coloured text on a black background because the white light from the screen is distracting for those watching & for the video camera. Every time you move your hand over a white screen, the light shining on your face or around you from the iPad is disturbed & it is quite distracting - especially if the service is being videos. I use GoodReader for viewing the file for preaching – a single touch on the right of the screen moves to the next page. GoddReader also allows for some highlighting etc., added notations to the file I preach from. Hope this is helpful.

#31 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,581 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopædic Surgery

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:47 AM

Yeah - I use Good reader too. A great PDF reader.

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#32 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

I discovered GoodReader early on after getting my first iPad. I was trying to find electronic copies of textbooks I was using in the classroom. When certain titles weren't available, I just scanned the print copies myself. But this created very large PDFs--the largest was over 700 pages! Of all the PDF readers available on the iPad, only GoodReader allowed me to to read and move quickly through these large files without the program crashing.

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#33 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

I had hoped that many of you were preaching from your iPads using Accordance, which would have made for a really appropriate podcast. I hadn't figured out an effective way to do so, so I thought I'd solicit suggestions from you.

It turns out that most of you aren't preaching directly from Accordance, either! You're using third party solutions, even if you are using Accordance on an iPad or a computer to prepare the sermons.

It's going to take me a while to evaluate your solutions and try them out for myself, so I am going to postpone this podcast for awhile. Meanwhile, let the discussion continue! I'm learning a lot.

• danieleburrow likes this

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

#34 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

I had hoped that many of you were preaching from your iPads using Accordance, which would have made for a really appropriate podcast. I hadn't figured out an effective way to do so, so I thought I'd solicit suggestions from you.

While one could preach from a User Tool that had the sermon outline, I wonder if more folks will preach from Accordance itself if/as there comes available the option to un-tie the two panes, so that you could have one pane with all the Scripture references you wanted (from a Bible text search), and the other pane with a User Tool/sermon outline that you could swipe your way through.

(Of course, there is the workaround now of copy-pasting all Scripture passages into a User Tool ahead of time.)

Abram K-J

#35 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

I think that is surely the case, Abram, one of the reasons I and several others here are advocating internally for that feature as the next major improvement.

• Abram K-J likes this

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

#36 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Sounds good!

To continue the discussion about preaching with an iPad more generally, I'm curious--to those who have weighed in and who use an iPad for preaching... are you doing it from a pulpit, on the floor from a music stand, or while walking around holding it in your hand?

As I mentioned, I'm still a print manuscript guy, but it occurs to me that I could use an iPad from my pulpit fairly discreetly, although I think the swiping motion would be noticeable. Not sure it would make a huge difference one way or the other....

Abram K-J

#37 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,826 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

Sounds good!

To continue the discussion about preaching with an iPad more generally, I'm curious--to those who have weighed in and who use an iPad for preaching... are you doing it from a pulpit, on the floor from a music stand, or while walking around holding it in your hand?

As I mentioned, I'm still a print manuscript guy, but it occurs to me that I could use an iPad from my pulpit fairly discreetly, although I think the swiping motion would be noticeable. Not sure it would make a huge difference one way or the other....

I only preach a few times/year, but this last time I had my iPad Mini on a stand, but also walked around with it while reading extended portions of scripture. At this church it wasn't a distraction at all because the lead pastor always preaches from his iPad (he preaches from his slides and controls them using the ProPresenter app).

As to the feature request, I understand it's in current development. But even when you can have an independent split pane I'm not sure I would still use that since the screen space is limited; and as of now will not support page swiping (but hopefully soon). I don't think it's convenient to scroll vertically so often. Page swiping is much more natural coming from advancing paper outlines / manuscript.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#38 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,581 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopædic Surgery

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

Plus, a page swipe means you don't lose your place. A scroll is unpredictable. I can't preach form an auto cue either. Just my last millennium foibles. I think that using the iPad is less obtrusive that using printed notes Abram. Plus in good reader a right sided tap is all that is needed, a swipe can be used but is not necessary.

Even if accordance does have much better notes, I am not sure I'll use them for preaching.

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#39 davidmedina

davidmedina

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Interests:God, my family, the Bible, photography and film.

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

Use iPad for notes, specially for outline and I use a regular Bible for Bible studies I lead and whenever I am asked to teach to a large audience. I still love the sound of flipping pages. 

I own both Accordance and Logos and both are installed on my iPad and used frequently. I like Accordance for the iPad because of its simplicity and speed, and while I think I could use either when teaching, to be honest, when teaching I will use Logos mainly because of Proclaim. There are several things I would love to see improved in the Accordance iPad app and I know they are being work out. I think once they are I could use Accordance for teaching.

That could be a good concept… create an Accordance app for preaching. Maybe the better question could be what would you like to see in a mobile app designed for teaching/preaching. 

Dr. J, I am VERY interested in this podcast and see how others use Accordance app in their teaching.

Edited by davidmedina, 07 June 2014 - 11:26 AM.

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Rom. 12:2

Blog: The Renewed Mind.

#40 davidmedina

davidmedina

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Interests:God, my family, the Bible, photography and film.

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

I got a Bookbook thanks to Dan Francis recommendation (thanks) and I love it. Most people don't now is an iPad until I open it. Very cool.

Edited by davidmedina, 07 June 2014 - 11:28 AM.

• Dan Francis likes this
"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Rom. 12:2

Blog: The Renewed Mind.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iPad, iOS, Accordance, preach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users