#41 Andrew Mercer

Andrew Mercer

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:The Bible, NT Greek, music, rugby, family - and a whole lot more
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

Thanks Ken for your suggestion re GoodReader. I've always used Pages and the down scroll sometimes caught me out. Used GoodReader today for the first time and it was a marked improvement. 

Back to the main thread - I still read from a physical bible, but all notes are on my iPad. I would say 60% of my congregation would follow along, and take notes on, some form of smartphone or tablet. I actually feel awkward if I know preach odd paper as I have been the iPad since it first came out in 2010.

Blessings,

Andrew Mercer
Summerlakes Church
Malaga, Western Australia

#42 MatthewCrowe

MatthewCrowe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Family, Flannery O'Connor, little of this, little of that.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

[quote name="Abram K-J" post="60221" timestamp="1402080200"]

To continue the discussion about preaching with an iPad more generally, I'm curious--to those who have weighed in and who use an iPad for preaching... are you doing it from a pulpit, on the floor from a music stand, or while walking around holding it in your hand?

I use my iPad on a pulpit or portable stand. I tried preaching from it once without a stand and it was awkward. I was self-conscious of the screen distracting folks. My particular case also caused a problem. I have a Portenzo case, similar to the Bookbook cases, and it made it hard to hold in one hand. I also kept accidentally locking the screen by holding my case in the corner!

Edited by MatthewCrowe, 12 June 2014 - 07:26 PM.

Associate Minister

Goodman Oaks Church of Christ

MacBook Pro Mavericks

iPad 2 iOS 7

#43 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,328 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Hi Matthew. I put it on a clear plexiglass lectern and preach from there while walking about a little. I am not a great roamer, but I'm not up in a pulpit either

Regards
Ken
Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#44 revtim

revtim

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:discipling, loving my wife and family, preaching, & technology

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hey Matthew,

When I preached with my iPad, I carried it around.

In Christ,

Tim Hall

#45 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,480 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Waving an iPad in the air and saying, "I stand upon this" just doesn't have the same effect as using a thick, leather-bound print Bible.

There's also the definite possibility that its slick surface will result in it flying out into the crowd, too.

• danieleburrow, Julie Palmer and Serpentium like this
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

#46 MatthewCrowe

MatthewCrowe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Family, Flannery O'Connor, little of this, little of that.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

Dr. J,

Exactly! My congregation has a variety in ages and most 20s-30s use their smartphones. The older generations, I suspect, trust a preacher with the leather-bound text in his hands.

My portenzo case gives an illusion of being a book. Maybe that helps. 

And yes, the naked iPad's slick surface would make it hard to carry around, for me anyway. But I'm quite clumsy.

Note: I was trying to quote Abram K-J's post on my phone last night but I messed up the editing. But thanks for the replies! 

Associate Minister

Goodman Oaks Church of Christ

MacBook Pro Mavericks

iPad 2 iOS 7

#47 ukfraser

ukfraser

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Photography, playing and listening to music preferably with coffee and bits of technology to make life easier.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:36 AM

Hi, been meaning to weigh in on this thread for some time, I use an iPad 2 and use a Mivizu case (smelt horrible when I first got it but feels great) as I like covers that have 4 sections so they fold easily for hand holding and stand nicely.

I am in Church of England, a reader and the director of music so
Morning service are data projection and I prepare them in word and PDF them and move pages with a Kensington presentation pointer (we use two which don't interfere so someone can zap while I'm playing) for those, I lead from the music stand but preach from the lecturn ( we have a 50's church) and while I use accordance to prepare, I paste my material into the standard notes app that comes on iOS as I can work on it on my phone or MBP. (Rant, ages ago I asked for a more generic notes app in accordance for collecting material rather than the specific verse notes). I then put highlights, images and verses into what I am projecting so use that to prompt while preaching and congregation see it.

Evening service is more informal and purely paper based for congregation so I have my liturgy and collects downloaded from CoE site and I just use adobe but have them in the correct page in my recents. I have my set list in forScore of the songs and hymns with the excellent AirTurn and I have my notes in notes. And I do have accordance open so I can do a quick search in case someone raises an awkward question but most of my notes have been compiled. And so lead the service from a make shift stall with a lowered music stand. Again all the preparation done from accordance into notes. (Rant 2 though get fed up that you can't copy instant details in iOS as it copies the underlying article). I also have resources in Kindle and as PDF and still use some paper resources as well, so notes is a good area to compile things. ( I have used Evernote and Upad in the past but came back to notes).

So in the docking station of my iPad, I have notes, adobe, accordance Safari iTunes and forScore so all my key apps are easy to get to.

Ps. I use my MBP twice a week to prepare my scores and the service and send a draft to whoever is preaching. I use my iPad morning, evening and night and really is my primary tool. ;o)

Pps, I have tried AirDisplay to mirror what is projected onto my iPad but so far run into issues when I try to change apps on my iPad.

Edited by ukfraser, 14 June 2014 - 05:37 PM.

Fraser Sims

#48 eshane7

eshane7

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Bible and technology, languages, hiking, camping, hunting, mechanics. And good coffee.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

I preach from my iPad every service now.  I did it once while traveling and preaching some anniversary services at a church, rather than find a printer, and print my outlines, I quickly googled how to preach from iPad, and turned up quite a few articles.  I'm a little old fashioned in preaching in that I don't use Keynote.  I have, and sometimes do, but the majority of the time, it is just straightforward teaching/preaching.  I have a template setup in Pages.  I save the outline to iCloud, then open it on my iPad, and export it to iBooks.  I have the fonts set larger (ranging from 18-25 in size) so it is very easy to read from the pulpit.  One main point per page, and swipe pages.  No scrolling.  I haven't looked back.  Just my 2cents worth of input. 

Shane

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iPad, iOS, Accordance, preach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users