#41 Andrew Mercer

Andrew Mercer

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:The Bible, NT Greek, music, rugby, family - and a whole lot more
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

Thanks Ken for your suggestion re GoodReader. I've always used Pages and the down scroll sometimes caught me out. Used GoodReader today for the first time and it was a marked improvement. 

Back to the main thread - I still read from a physical bible, but all notes are on my iPad. I would say 60% of my congregation would follow along, and take notes on, some form of smartphone or tablet. I actually feel awkward if I know preach odd paper as I have been the iPad since it first came out in 2010.

Blessings,

Andrew Mercer
Summerlakes Church
Malaga, Western Australia

#42 MatthewCrowe

MatthewCrowe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Family, Flannery O'Connor, ukulele, Gospel of Mark, a little of this and a little of that.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

[quote name="Abram K-J" post="60221" timestamp="1402080200"]

To continue the discussion about preaching with an iPad more generally, I'm curious--to those who have weighed in and who use an iPad for preaching... are you doing it from a pulpit, on the floor from a music stand, or while walking around holding it in your hand?

I use my iPad on a pulpit or portable stand. I tried preaching from it once without a stand and it was awkward. I was self-conscious of the screen distracting folks. My particular case also caused a problem. I have a Portenzo case, similar to the Bookbook cases, and it made it hard to hold in one hand. I also kept accidentally locking the screen by holding my case in the corner!

Edited by MatthewCrowe, 12 June 2014 - 07:26 PM.

Associate Minister

Goodman Oaks Church of Christ

MacBook Pro Mavericks

iPad 2 iOS 7

#43 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,602 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopædic Surgery

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Hi Matthew. I put it on a clear plexiglass lectern and preach from there while walking about a little. I am not a great roamer, but I'm not up in a pulpit either

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#44 revtim

revtim

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:discipling, loving my wife and family, preaching, & technology

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hey Matthew,

When I preached with my iPad, I carried it around.

In Christ,

Tim Hall

#45 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,581 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Waving an iPad in the air and saying, "I stand upon this" just doesn't have the same effect as using a thick, leather-bound print Bible.

There's also the definite possibility that its slick surface will result in it flying out into the crowd, too.

• danieleburrow, Julie Palmer and Serpentium like this

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#46 MatthewCrowe

MatthewCrowe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Family, Flannery O'Connor, ukulele, Gospel of Mark, a little of this and a little of that.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

Dr. J,

Exactly! My congregation has a variety in ages and most 20s-30s use their smartphones. The older generations, I suspect, trust a preacher with the leather-bound text in his hands.

My portenzo case gives an illusion of being a book. Maybe that helps. 

And yes, the naked iPad's slick surface would make it hard to carry around, for me anyway. But I'm quite clumsy.

Note: I was trying to quote Abram K-J's post on my phone last night but I messed up the editing. But thanks for the replies! 

Associate Minister

Goodman Oaks Church of Christ

MacBook Pro Mavericks

iPad 2 iOS 7

#47 ukfraser

ukfraser

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:36 AM

Hi, been meaning to weigh in on this thread for some time, I use an iPad 2 and use a Mivizu case (smelt horrible when I first got it but feels great) as I like covers that have 4 sections so they fold easily for hand holding and stand nicely.

I am in Church of England, a reader and the director of music so
Morning service are data projection and I prepare them in word and PDF them and move pages with a Kensington presentation pointer (we use two which don't interfere so someone can zap while I'm playing) for those, I lead from the music stand but preach from the lecturn ( we have a 50's church) and while I use accordance to prepare, I paste my material into the standard notes app that comes on iOS as I can work on it on my phone or MBP. (Rant, ages ago I asked for a more generic notes app in accordance for collecting material rather than the specific verse notes). I then put highlights, images and verses into what I am projecting so use that to prompt while preaching and congregation see it.

Evening service is more informal and purely paper based for congregation so I have my liturgy and collects downloaded from CoE site and I just use adobe but have them in the correct page in my recents. I have my set list in forScore of the songs and hymns with the excellent AirTurn and I have my notes in notes. And I do have accordance open so I can do a quick search in case someone raises an awkward question but most of my notes have been compiled. And so lead the service from a make shift stall with a lowered music stand. Again all the preparation done from accordance into notes. (Rant 2 though get fed up that you can't copy instant details in iOS as it copies the underlying article). I also have resources in Kindle and as PDF and still use some paper resources as well, so notes is a good area to compile things. ( I have used Evernote and Upad in the past but came back to notes).

So in the docking station of my iPad, I have notes, adobe, accordance Safari iTunes and forScore so all my key apps are easy to get to.

Ps. I use my MBP twice a week to prepare my scores and the service and send a draft to whoever is preaching. I use my iPad morning, evening and night and really is my primary tool. ;o)

Pps, I have tried AirDisplay to mirror what is projected onto my iPad but so far run into issues when I try to change apps on my iPad.

Edited by ukfraser, 14 June 2014 - 05:37 PM.

Fraser Sims

#48 eshane7

eshane7

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Bible and technology, languages, hiking, camping, hunting, mechanics. And good coffee.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

I preach from my iPad every service now.  I did it once while traveling and preaching some anniversary services at a church, rather than find a printer, and print my outlines, I quickly googled how to preach from iPad, and turned up quite a few articles.  I'm a little old fashioned in preaching in that I don't use Keynote.  I have, and sometimes do, but the majority of the time, it is just straightforward teaching/preaching.  I have a template setup in Pages.  I save the outline to iCloud, then open it on my iPad, and export it to iBooks.  I have the fonts set larger (ranging from 18-25 in size) so it is very easy to read from the pulpit.  One main point per page, and swipe pages.  No scrolling.  I haven't looked back.  Just my 2cents worth of input. 

Shane

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iPad, iOS, Accordance, preach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users