Photo

#104) Thinking Contextually

context literary outlines introduction study exegesis Book by Book Luke 15 parable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,637 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:12 AM

[Accordance 10: Methods] The best way to study a verse in the Bible is to learn to think contextually. Consider a verse's context: the paragraph in which it is found, the section in which it appears, and the book in which it is embedded. Good tools, like Bible outlines and Introductions, can help us see the big picture. Thinking contextually helps us avoid errors in interpretation, as Dr. J shows us in this podcast, using the three parables of Luke 15 as an example.

Attached Files

Edited by Timothy Jenney, 10 June 2014 - 08:12 AM.

• danieleburrow likes this

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#2 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Really nice, Dr. J.  I'm going to send a link to the YouTube version to a bunch of friends.  

By the way, so far we have given 4 Accordance gift cards to HS graduates.  We gave them a choice between some 'dead tree' versions of a few books we thought would be helpful to them and Accordance.  Four of the six chose Accordance (two have not made decisions so far).  I am SO encouraged!

EDIT:  The YouTube link gives me the right podcast, but a darkened, unplayable screen.

Edited by Julie Falling, 10 June 2014 - 09:33 AM.

Julia Falling

Accordance 11

MacBook Air Yosemite

mid-2013 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)

8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Yosemite Acc 11

late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)

16 GB RAM; 1.12  TB Fusion Drive

iPad Air 1 iOS 8.1

64 GB

#3 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,637 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Thanks, Julie!

You go, girl! I have been giving away Accordance as gifts for some years now. I view it as an investment in a person's spiritual growth and ministry. What a treasure it is to find someone who is hungry for the Word and is motivated to study it. I try to invest in individuals as I am able and lead by God.

[The YouTube link seems to be working for me now. I was a bit concerned about it earlier. The video may not have finished processing. Please try again. If that doesn't work, try this link: http://accordancefil...ontextually.m4v]

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: context, literary, outlines, introduction, study, exegesis, Book by Book, Luke 15, parable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users