James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

In the Accordance Help, I read the following about asterisks:

An asterisk indicates a global wild-card; that is, any number of letters in a word. Standing alone or as part of a phrase, the asterisk signifies any word. (When searching for Verses the asterisk stands for all verses.) For example, the argument "sing*" finds any word that starts with "sing" including "sing", "singer", "singleness", etc., and "b*g" finds any word that begins with b and ends with g, regardless of its length.

Based on the last clause in that paragraph, I would infer this search would work as expected:

"*(ךםןףץ)?*=" ‎<AND>‎[RANGE 1QIsaa]‏ 

The search queries for those occasions where the final form is used in a medial position. But the results are not logically returned based on the instructions of the asterisks (e.g., it returns חזון). I would expect, as in the example above, the second asterisks following the parenthetical subgroup to require Accordance to find only those occasions where the final form is in the medial position, but have additional Hebrew characters following.

I can get the results I need with this (let [all medial forms] = אבגדהוזחטיכלמנסעפצקרשׁשׂת):

"*([all medial forms])?(ךםןףץ)?*=" ‎<AND>‏ ‎[RANGE 1QIsaa]‏  

I would have expected the additional ?[all medial forms] to have been included within the final *. This seems like a bug (of at least some sort) to me.

#2 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

An asterisk is a 'zero or more' wildcard.  To use a 'one or more' idea, do '?*'.  So, based on your example (I have not tried it yet) you want:

"*?(ךםןףץ)?*=" ‎<AND>‏ ‎[RANGE 1QIsaa]‏ 

The last clause in the help is correct.  The word must start with b and end with g, and it may or may not have any letters in the middle.

Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#3 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

The last clause in the help is correct.  The word must start with b and end with g, and it may or may not have any letters in the middle.

Exactly my point, Joel. It does work, but when the logic is applied the results do not return as expected. Thus,

*?(a)* would seem to me to say, find any word which has "a" but is not the first letter, but rather somewhere in the middle, and nor should it be at the end.

Edited by James Tucker, 13 June 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#4 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Again, you are missing a question mark on the end.  If you want any word containing 'a' neither in the middle nor end, you need (reading left to right) ?(-a)*a*?(-a).  Asterisk simply means any number of any letter can occur here, including zero.  If you want to specify the existence of a letter, or which characters the letter can or cannot be, you need a '?'.

Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users