Syncing workspaces

Larry Wing

I'm trying to sync via Dropbox all my Accordance files on my Mac with my Windows setup. So far my Notes and Tools sync just fine when I copy the Dropbox files to my Windows folder.

The only ones I'm have a problem with are the Workspaces. My Dropbox sync on the Mac is set to automatic and Notes and Tools sync but Workspaces don't show up in my Dropbox folder. Are they supposed to be able to sync?

Workspaces don't currently sync automatically, just User Notes, User Tools, and Highlights.

However, if you save your workspaces to your Dropbox folder, Accordance can read the workspaces from any of your synced computers and will remember their location.

Thank you. I never thought about saving to Dropbox.

• 2 months later...

However, if you save your workspaces to your Dropbox folder, Accordance can read the workspaces from any of your synced computers and will remember their location.

I'm just now trying to transition from a Snow Leopard machine to a Mavericks one. I would like both machines to still have Accordance and have everything synced that can be synced, untill I finally decided I'm done with the SL machine and the transition is complete. On both machines I have solid state drives (SSDs) for the boot drive and most (if not all) apps are on the SSD, too. Then I have a regular HD (HDD) on each machine with everything else. On my SL machine, the folder "Accordance Files", which includes workspaces, highlighting files, etc. is here: Non-BootDiskHDD > Users > [userName] > Documents. On the Mav machine, that folder is here: 1.5TB_HDD_NonBoot > Documents on HDD > HDD_Docs_Yes_Backup.

On the Mav machine, Accordance does not "see" my workspaces, although I copied them over. Is there a preference in Accordance to set their location? If I click on one of my workspaces in Finder, it opens as it should in Accordance. But it's not in the list of "My Workspaces".

To do what Joel recommended in the quoted forum post (make Workspaces sync via Dropbox), which files exactly do I put in the Dropbox folder? (I.e., the whole "User Tools" folder? Or just the named "EC Workspace1.accord" files?) I assume I need to do this on both machines – is that correct?

Thanks! ~Eric

Edited by EricC

User Tools and Notes will be synced automatically if you have Dropbox syncing turned on. You don't need to move them manually.

The "My Workspaces" list is not a list of all your workspaces, just the ones you have added to that group in the library. Most of the settings (including library arrangement) are not part of the Dropox sync that Accordance provides, so you will need to add them to the library yourself on the new machine, by clicking on the + button in the library pane and then navigating to the workspaces you want to add.

[...] you will need to add them [workspaces] to the library yourself on the new machine, by clicking on the + button in the library pane and then navigating to the workspaces you want to add.

Thank you, Lorinda. I just now did add them that way. But that raises the question as to why they were not synced in the first place. They are on the other machine and the other one and this one do have Dropbox sync enabled. Oh, well, I'm not sure syncing is working correctly. I just hope I don't lose something.

If you look above, you will see that Joel explained that Accordance's Dropbox sync feature is not designed to sync workspaces, just User Tools, User Notes, and Highlights. It sounds like the syncing is working as Accordance intended.

That said, I would like to see the option of syncing preferences (including favorite workspaces) between machines. Although I would want it to be a user controlled option. I use Accordance on a 13" MacBook Pro and a Windows desktop with a much larger screen. I have some preferences set differently on the two machines for that reason. (E.g. The library is a pop up on my MacBook but a pane on the windows machine)

Thanks, Lorinda. I agree that syncing preferences would be great.

When I read (present tense) what Joel wrote, it still sounds to me as if that is a workaround to, in fact, get synced workspaces. Maybe I'm just reading it incorrectly.

Ah, I can see how it would read that way, now that you point it out. The point that Joel was making (I think) was that you can save workspaces to Dropbox and access them from any computer on which you have both Dropbox and Accordance installed. But this doesn't automatically put them in the "My Workspaces" list in the library.

Maybe an example from my use will help. I create new workspaces for each Sunday I preach. I store these in my Dropbox, in a folder dedicated to resources for that Sunday. These folders are not part of the standard Accordance Files folder and subfolder system. They are simply part of my wider Dropbox folder structure. They contain documents from all sorts of applications (Pdfs, docs, images, etc.). I can access them from both my home and church computer. But, they don't show up in the "My Workspaces" list in the library, and I wouldn't want them to: the list would be unmanageable. In my workflow, "My Workspaces" is used primarily for custom workspaces I amplify to. I have, for example, Greek and Hebrew words study workspaces that let me search all my Greek texts, Lexicons, and related resources for a Greek word. Another one lets me quickly see how various English translations handle a given verse.

• Like 1

[...] you can save workspaces to Dropbox and access them from any computer on which you have both Dropbox and Accordance installed. But this doesn't automatically put them in the "My Workspaces" list in the library.

Now my "Ah..." moment. I think I got it now :) Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Workspaces don't currently sync automatically, just User Notes, User Tools, and Highlights.

Hey Joel,

Now that Accordance 11 is out, which syncs User Notes, User Tools, Highlights, Bookmarks, My Places, and Current session, will 11 soon support sync of Groups or Workspaces. I mostly use my own Dropbox organizational structure for workspaces, so that isn't an issue for me, but groups would be nice. For instance, when I visited my in-laws on vacation last week and installed Accordance, almost everything was as I left it on my personal Mac, but all the groups were missing. That was discouraging :(