#1 bfrostad

bfrostad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hello,

I am new to the Accordance forum, and somewhat new to Accordance. I am running Accordance 10 on Window, as well as iOS. (Enjoying it thoroughly, by the way!)

Anyway, I have noticed that BHS-T doesn't display qere/ketib as does HMT-W4. I was surprised by this. I realize that there are some small differences between the two modules: BHS-T intends to replicate the printed BHS, while HMT-W4 follows the most up-to-date morphology for the Leningrad codex (without the BHS apparatus). But I would have assumed that BHS-T would have some way of indicating qere/ketib as well. Am I missing something? I have tried comparing the two, and it seems that BHS-T switches back and forth between following the qere and following the ketib.

Is there any documentation that explains how these two modules deal with qere/ketib? Is there any rhyme or reason as to whether BHS-T follows qere or ketib?

Thanks!

Ben

#2 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

The BHS-T should follow the ketiv as opposed to qere. There are two problems with this issue that are awaiting a conclusion. The first is that tagged hebrew texts do not allow multiple tags on one lemma. As you are likely aware, the differences in the ketiv/qere readings sometimes will result in a different morphological tag. Thus, to accommodate both, Accordance needs to accommodate multiple tags on one lemma.

The second issue awaiting conclusion is how to display the ketiv/qere. The manner in which they are displayed in BHS-W4 is less than ideal, but pragmatically it works. The ability to host multiple displays is more than reasonable given the plethora of algorithms extant to resolve this issue. However, its not a matter of can it be done, but when it will be done.

If you see any Qere readings, just send in a report through the contextual menu. Ideally, if problems 1 and 2 were solved above, it wouldn't matter as both would need to be in database anyways.

• Outis likes this

#3 bfrostad

bfrostad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

Thanks so much for the reply! I think it answers my questions. Initially I had assumed that since I had BHS-T I no longer needed HMT-W4, but now I'm seeing both modules are useful for different purposes.

I have seen some Qere readings in BHS-T, so I will report them as I encounter them. Thanks!

#4 Outis

Outis

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Mountain Biking, Swimming,Translating Hebrew & Greek, good coffee, loose-leaf tea, homebrewing, stinky candles.

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

As a follow up, i have two questions (one specific and one more general):

1)  How does a person practically deal with having one text with an apparatus and another that displays the qere/ketiv?  The only practical solution I can think of is to have another window open, one with BHS-T and the other with the BHS-W4.  But if a person has a small amount of workspace that seems unpractical.

2) is there a way to search out ahead of time the qere/ketiv's in a section ahead of time in the BHS-W4?  If I could do that I could still use the BHS-T with the apparatus and not miss the qere/ketiv.

Pastor Steve Bauer

stevebauer.us
pastorbauer--> at <--gmail.com

sic fatvs nocti se miscvit atrae...

#5 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,085 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

First you should be using HMT-W4, a free upgrade to BHS-W4.

You can find all bracketed words by searching for * and setting the optional pop-up menu called Bracketed Words to Exclusive. Then you can also search for all empty ktiv with ככ, and for all empty qere with קק. קק <OR> כך will find either empty form. There is no way to combine these searches with the full qere search.

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#6 Outis

Outis

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Mountain Biking, Swimming,Translating Hebrew & Greek, good coffee, loose-leaf tea, homebrewing, stinky candles.

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

Thanks Helen.

Pastor Steve Bauer

stevebauer.us
pastorbauer--> at <--gmail.com

sic fatvs nocti se miscvit atrae...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hebrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users