• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guntis

Guntis

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Theology, music, art,  gadgets, photography, etc... Enjoy reading good books.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

Could you please make this book as Accordance module?

"The Story File: 1,001 Contemporary Illustrations for Speakers, Writers and Preachers"

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/1565638484/

“Teach the way of God in Accordance” (Matt 12:14, NIV-Accordance edition)
“Those who live in Accordance (with the Spirit) have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” (Rom 8:5, NIV-Accordance edition)

#2 sfarson

sfarson

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

Agree.  They aren't many illustration resources here.

#3 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

I'm not sure of the availability or status of your desired book, Guntis (not my department!), but we do have 1001 Illustrations that Connect.

Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#4 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,575 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

Guntis, I checked this book on Amazon to see if there was a Kindle edition available. There is not. Generally, if there is a Kindle edition, we know there is an e-text out there somewhere. Without it, we have to run the book through an OCR and then correct it. I won't say we have never done this, but we really prefer not to. It's just not worth it unless there is a huge demand for the resource.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#5 Guntis

Guntis

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Theology, music, art,  gadgets, photography, etc... Enjoy reading good books.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

Guntis, I checked this book on Amazon to see if there was a Kindle edition available. There is not. Generally, if there is a Kindle edition, we know there is an e-text out there somewhere. Without it, we have to run the book through an OCR and then correct it. I won't say we have never done this, but we really prefer not to. It's just not worth it unless there is a huge demand for the resource.

Timothy, Amazon web site says: "The CD-ROM contains over 1,001 illustrations that can be sorted by category, topic, or scripture verse." If they sell this book with the CD-ROM, it means that they have some sort of e-text available. Maybe not the easiest way to retrieve it, but much better than doing OCR.

“Teach the way of God in Accordance” (Matt 12:14, NIV-Accordance edition)
“Those who live in Accordance (with the Spirit) have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” (Rom 8:5, NIV-Accordance edition)

#6 Tony Lawrence

Tony Lawrence

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Hosting Bible Land Tours, Expository Preaching, My granddaughter

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

I also looked at the link and since it comes with a CD I would assume there would be an etext. The preview seems to indicate that.

Tony Lawrence
biblelandphotos.org

#7 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,575 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Sorry, guys, I totally missed the fact that it can with a CD-ROM. Looks like it sorts the illustrations into a searchable database, too. I'd guess that means an e-text exists.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#8 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

I think I'd agree with sfarson, current preaching sale notwithstanding. However, at the risk of sounding preachy (har har), I have been struck recently by the power of illustrations that come from the preacher's own life and observations, as opposed to just "canned" ones. Not that I don't use the "canned" ones at times, too! But my own expanding User Tool for illustrations has already been proving useful, even though I just started it about a month ago.

I know that's a bit OT from the OP, but it's worth consideration, I think.
Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users