Photo

Swete's Introduction to the Old Testament in Greek...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Okay--well, that's good to know, at least!

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

Accordance 11 on Yosemite: early 2008 iMac / late 2008 MacBook

Latest iAccord on latest iOS on iPad mini

#22 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

ah interesting - I'll use the latest Windows beta then.

Thx

D

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 11.0.1                       Accordance 11.0.1
      OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#23 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:54 PM

Ok I've played with this a little now. There is work - ain't there always :)

So the printer friendly file relieves one of some things but it doesn't make that much difference to the imported tool as Acc was already ignoring quite a big of the stuff.

The Greek and Hebrew (though I cannot read Hebrew) looks fine. Paragraphing is good.

And the not so good :

Early pages such as the contents list, and the title pages and dedications have too much space or incorrect line breaking. Not hard to fix.

The footnotes as Graham mentioned need work. This pretty much has to be done by a script given the sheer number of them. I do not know if there is a way to represent these footnotes in a good way within a User Tool. For example can one create links within the tool to them. I need to check.

There are various stray bits of navigation text preserved in the import that need to be removed. As UTs don't have a search and replace function that would best be scripted in the source doc. In addition there are also stray URLs in the text which mean something in the context of the CCEL website but not Acc.

Finally there are a ton of links in the doc that could be converted to Acc links to scripture that would be really handy. I don't know if there is support for HTML import to construct such links during import, or in text import for that matter. In any case, it would require more scripting to get that massaged into a form that would then provide this functionality. And even then there are many other links that could be made to other texts that would be useful if one had Acc equivalents for them, or preserved as URL links in the UT pointing to their original targets. It looks like if the scripture links were put into Accordance canonical form that the Auto Link button would do the rest - very cool, but a script is required to do the conversion to canonical form. Luckily I have been developing a Python library to do that - oh yay !

Oh and post-finally - I won't delve into theology on that one :)

There are some tabular items like two columns of Demetrius and Genesis in comparison. UTs don't support tables and so this will need some special handling.

And post-post-oh dear ...

There are various small things like paragraph numbering for reference - actually not paras exactly but in any case they will need scripting out also.

Ah ok - the notes are duplicated at the end of the chapter - the peculiarity of how they have the clickovers done in the running text. So that may help, as one could just delete the ones in the text just leaving the reference to the one at the end. But the ones at the end need some CRs in the right places.

Ok, time to return to Deuteronomy. This ain't getting solved tonight.

Thx

D

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 11.0.1                       Accordance 11.0.1
      OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#24 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

The footnotes as Graham mentioned need work. This pretty much has to be done by a script given the sheer number of them. I do not know if there is a way to represent these footnotes in a good way within a User Tool. For example can one create links within the tool to them. I need to check.

I was just wondering about footnotes in a User Tool. I don't know of a way to do it (or even a good way to fake footnotes).

A search and replace feature for User Tools is a good idea, too--that would help clean things up, though couldn't that also be done elsewhere before importing?

Thanks for checking this out, Daniel!

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

Accordance 11 on Yosemite: early 2008 iMac / late 2008 MacBook

Latest iAccord on latest iOS on iPad mini

#25 Graham Buck

Graham Buck

Silver

• Accordance
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

Search and replace can be done quite simply in a text editor like BBEdit/TextWrangler. Just learn a little bit of Regular Expression syntax and you're on your way to stardom.

• Abram K-J likes this

Graham Buck
Content Development [Ninja]

OakTree Software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users