trouble with the new services

Boris Repschinski

I installed the new services posted on July 2. On trying them out my text editor froze. I went on to try and open the services in Automator and got the message that the action could not be loaded because it wasn't found. I am running the latest accordance and osx packages.

Maybe these services don't work on a system with German as the system language?

In the meantime the problem was solved by a restart - I can now open the services in Automator and tweak them to my delight and use them in my word processor.

Edited by Boris Repschinski

The new services are great and wonderfully implemented with 10.4.3. Thank you!

I have found an issue with the older Keynote 9 (version 5.3). When selecting a text and attempting to invoke Services it will not complete. You have to press Command-Period to halt. It works fine in the newer Keynote (version 6.2). I would venture to say many have stayed with Keynote 9, simply due to the newer Keynote lacking all the features of the previous version. I am glad I kept my older Services scripts so I can continue to use these until the newer Keynote gets feature parity with the older Keynote.

I have tested the new Services with the older Pages (4.3) and they work perfectly.

Just as a matter of preference, I liked the older "Insert Query ..." which I had modified to work with the NKJV. Perhaps that could be added later with the ability to choose the module as in the newer "Acc - Insert Verses From Any Text"

I am extremely thankful that Accordance has chosen to include these with the 10.4.3 install making implementation more seamless.

Tony,

FYI, I just added a new tutorial for how one would duplicate the older "Insert Query…" function using the new Accordance Actions.

http://macbiblioblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/creating-new-automation-service-for.html

Tony,

FYI, I just added a new tutorial for how one would duplicate the older "Insert Query…" function using the new Accordance Actions.

http://macbiblioblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/creating-new-automation-service-for.html

Thanks!

Thanks for the new services Accordance! These are really great.

And thank you, Joe for that post. I am going to try that out.

Update:

Joe, I followed the instructions you have on your blog and everything worked like a charm. Thanks for the easy and informative instructions.

Instead of creating separate workflows for each translation text would it be possible to add a menu to the dialog box with options in it?

Edited by circuitrider

I noticed while in Pages that the new services are only available when some text is highlighted. The new service that Joe Weaks made available in his blog is always in the services. I have a shortcut key combo tied to it and using it is really nice. I will probably end up using it instead of the widget.

It would be nice to have a service always available that brings up a dialog box allowing for word search also.

It would be nice to have a service always available that brings up a dialog box allowing for word search also.

Using Joe's guide from his blog I was able to do this exact thing. I was also able to create a script that will do a word search in a specific workspace via a dialog box.

Thanks again Joe and Accordance! This is going to improve my workflow very nicely!

Edited by circuitrider

I've also had trouble installing the new services, probably because I'm running snow leopard.

I double click on the icon and it opens in automator rather than giving me the option of making it a service.

I don't know automator well enough to work out how to make it a service, can someone help me?

I've worked out you can't just dump the files in the services folder as it's a 'workflow' file not a services file.

thanks in advance

Ray Robinson

OS10.6.8, Acc 10.4.3, MacBook Air 2.13 C2D 4Gig.

rayr,

I think it's possible the Services only run in Lion or higher. I can investigate further in a day or so.

These services all do have the .workflow extension on the name, and you can just drag them into the ~/Library/Services/ folder, but I suspect they still won't work.

Edited by Joe Weaks

Joe,

Tks for the quick reply.

I did try dropping them in the ~/Library/Services/ folder but it didn't work.

All the services in the ~/Library/Services/ folder end with a .service extension rather than .workflow

I do have other programs that run services on Snow Leopard. So it may be just the accordance services that aren't configured for old systems.

I'm pretty sure I could write a service in automator if I knew what I was doing, but suspect it's not worth the effort.

If it's not going to work, no problem, I'll stick with Snow Leopard it's too greater a cost for me to move to Mavericks.

tks again

Ray

Ray,

I mean that the new Accordance Services do have the .workflow extension.

The ability to create Services using Automator began a few OSes ago, so I'm guessing that started with Lion. Hence, Snow Leopard gets left out of the new (4 years old really isn't new) approach.