Photo

John Butler or John Phillips? Which would you pick?

commentaries

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eshane7

eshane7

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Bible and technology
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted Yesterday, 12:34 PM

Ok, I really like John Phillips commentaries.  What I have read of his has always been good.  I recently watched the video that was sent out in the email about the John Butler's commentaries.  His look really good too!  I like alliteration and even use alliteration quite a bit.  My questions is, if you could only get one, which would you pick?  Why?  I have to decide one or the other.  Thanks for any information that you can give on this.  It will be appreciated.

PS - I would love to see Butler's outline of the book of Hosea, just the major points to compare with Phillips hardback book I have in hand. 

#2 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,705 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted Yesterday, 01:44 PM

Butler is complete for the whole Bible; Phillips skips from Genesis to Psalms.

It looks like in Hosea that he only outlines each chapter. Here's chapter 1 if it helps:

THE OUTLINE (Main Points) OF THE CHAPTER:

A. The Period of the Prophet (Hosea 1:1)

B. The Precept for the Prophet (Hosea 1:2)

C. The Portrayal by the Prophet (Hosea 1:3–9)

D. The Promise of the Prophet (Hosea 1:10, 11)

• eshane7 likes this

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#3 eshane7

eshane7

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:22 PM

Rick,

Thank you for pointing that out!  I didn't realize that Exodus-Job had been skipped!  That is a rather large junk to be missing, I can't believe I overlooked that.  Thank you for the preview of the outline as well.  

#4 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,705 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:29 PM

Rick,

Thank you for pointing that out!  I didn't realize that Exodus-Job had been skipped!  That is a rather large junk to be missing, I can't believe I overlooked that.  Thank you for the preview of the outline as well.  

No problem. I don't think the content is missing so much as it is just incomplete (not uncommon in commentaries).

Rick Bennett
iOS Working Group

#5 eshane7

eshane7

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted Today, 11:33 AM

No problem. I don't think the content is missing so much as it is just incomplete (not uncommon in commentaries).

Thanks for the clarification.  You are right, it is not missing, just that the author never wrote it.  

On a second note.  What are the chances that Accordance would ever have individual books available for sale from a commentary set?  So that perhaps a user could buy the minor prophets by Phillips and or Butler to decide if they like the author.  This could be very beneficial to users to add books as they need/want them.  Kind of like an inconsistent payment plan, as need and money allow.  

#6 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,705 posts

Posted Today, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the clarification.  You are right, it is not missing, just that the author never wrote it.  

On a second note.  What are the chances that Accordance would ever have individual books available for sale from a commentary set?  So that perhaps a user could buy the minor prophets by Phillips and or Butler to decide if they like the author.  This could be very beneficial to users to add books as they need/want them.  Kind of like an inconsistent payment plan, as need and money allow.  

We occasionally do that for larger sets, but Phillips is already pretty small, and both it and Butler are under $200. I'm not saying $200 is an insignificant investment, but just that we typically break up larger sets. And even when we do that, sales are typically not that high, and it involves extra work to setup and maintain.

Rick Bennett
iOS Working Group

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: commentaries

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

eshane7, jfidel