5 replies to this topic

#1 Antony

Antony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

1) Does the root search only search for one root at a time, or it is possible to generate a list of all the roots in the GNT or MT along with the lemmas which derive from a particular root? As it is now, I can seach for the root αγαπη, and then in analysis window I see the lemmas

ἀγαπάω    (ἀγάπη)    to love = 143
        ἀγάπη    love; Kiss of Peace = 116
        ἀγαπητός    (ἀγάπη)    beloved = 61

But is there a way to get a list of all the roots (e.g, αγαπη, γινωσκω, ερχομαι, etc) and their lemmas at the same time?

2) if not, is there a way to at least obtain a list of the all words which Accordance considers to be roots (not just lemmas)? the only way I see is to click on each greek entry one by one in the root pop-up window during a construct search, and then copy the list, but that's a very tedious way of dong it.

thanks.

#2 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

The root search (+) identifies a) every word derived from that root and B) every word containing that root. It does search for just a single root at a time, unless one orders it to do something else.

You can find a list of all the roots in a given text by selecting that text as your Search Text, then typing Opt-Cmd-L (PC: Alt+Cmd+L). A dialog box will appear with the list of roots and you can select whichever one(s) you want.

Offhand, I know of no way to identify and copy all the roots in a given text. Perhaps someone else on the forum does.

You can search for all words though, using an asterisk (*). Open the Analysis tab to see a list of them and the roots from which they are derived.

Edited by Timothy Jenney, 15 July 2014 - 11:47 AM.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#3 Antony

Antony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

thanks, that's what I had thought, but I asked just in case I had missed something.

#4 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hey Tim,

I was just playing with this and noticed two things on the PC version :

1. I believe that above you meant Alt-Ctrl-L not Alt-Cmd-L. But on my laptop that does not work.

2. According to the doc you can hold the Alt key while clicking the search menu and the Enter lexical forms menu item will appear as Enter root Forms  which it does. But the menu behaviour is a little different. You can normally click a menu bar item and release and its pull down menu will remain visible and you can then select the item you want from it. With the Alt key held though  you cannot release the mouse button but must continue to hold it.

Thx

D

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 10.4.3.2                     Accordance 10.4.3.2 and Aleph 10.4.3.2
      OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#5 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Thanks, Daniel!

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#6 Corey Farcas

Corey Farcas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:text criticism, intertextuality, biblical languages

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

Dr. J,

On extracting the Roots from a passage, you'd need to get it into a spreadsheet with the Roots in one column, while being careful of those words that have no Roots or have ננ etc.

See 

Vocab Building Format

Corey Farcas
MDiv/MABL '15
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
cfarcas@gcts.edu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users