reference works publishers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eshane7

eshane7

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Bible and technology, languages, hiking, camping, hunting, mechanics. And good coffee.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

I'm coming from a conservative independent Baptist stand point, and curious about the IVP works.  I'm not real familiar with them and wonder who they are.  I found out it is InterVarsity Press and looked them up, however I cannot tell if they would be more of a conservative or more of a critical type publication.  I would appreciate any insight on what their works would be more commonly labled as. 

#2 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

IVP is generally regarded as an evangelically-oriented publisher (with authors from a more-or-less evangelical tradition). I realize all of these terms can mean something different to everyone, but the IVP dictionaries seem to be written from a perspective of faith that also is able to draw on so-called critical scholarship.

I've found them immensely useful for preaching, writing papers, and even (occasionally) personal devotions.

• davidmedina likes this

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

Accordance 11 on Yosemite: early 2008 iMac / late 2008 MacBook

Latest iAccord on latest iOS on iPad mini

#3 Jordan Gowing

Jordan Gowing

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

I agree with Abram.  In my experience, the IVP modules available in Accordance do an excellent job of handling modern scholarship questions from a theologically-conservative (in my opinion) evangelical perspective.  The NT dictionaries are extremely helpful (don't have the OT ones yet), and I think that the commentary volumes are even more valuable.

(This is coming from a pastor in the EFCA, though I'm not one of the dispensational "old guard.") :)  Hope that helps!

• davidmedina likes this

Mid-2012 rMBP

OS X 10.10

#4 Ryan Stumpf

Ryan Stumpf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

I'm coming from a conservative independent Baptist stand point, and curious about the IVP works.  I'm not real familiar with them and wonder who they are.  I found out it is InterVarsity Press and looked them up, however I cannot tell if they would be more of a conservative or more of a critical type publication.  I would appreciate any insight on what their works would be more commonly labled as. 

Its always useful to have a variety of perspectives - I mean, if you only have cons ind baptist (or mennonite or catholic) resources you only get one small perspective on God. I like to have a variety of resources since that gives a fuller look at God.

• jeremyduncan likes this

#5 eshane7

eshane7

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Bible and technology, languages, hiking, camping, hunting, mechanics. And good coffee.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the responses.  While I don't mind looking at other perspectives, I don't want to shovel out $$$ to do so. :) If you know what I mean.  I do have a IVP resource or two, so I have been looking at them more to consider whether or not it would be useful to me.  I'm not real familiar with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users