Weird Internet Behavior

Daniel  Francis

I have a limited amount of download capacity each month. I have been going over it significantly my 50 GB a month limit. So today I started to investigate what was going on. 10.4.3.2 is my accordance version and my OS is 10.9.4. Since my restart Accordance has received over 1.07 GB of data according to the activity monitor over the past 4 hours usage. I did check for any updates once i started up but there were none and I can not fathom why Accordance is getting so much data, please help me to figure out how to stop this.

-Dan

BUMP... I don;t mean to seem impatient but my usage of accordance today used up 2 GB of download traffic for no good reason.

-Dan

It's not related to Dropbox syncing by any chance is it ?

Do you use it and is it configured for auto update ? If so does turning it off make a difference.

This is a complete guess but ... just in case it helps.

Thx

D

it is downloads not uploads so I am not sure.... but thanks for the advice..

-Dan

Understood - sync works both ways so download is done if there is stuff to update. I am wondering if there is some problem with it and its repeatedly downloading stuff but unable to succeed. That was the theory behind my complete guess. Turning it off should show if that theory is at least a possibility. The other thing I would look for is an error log - perhaps under /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports with a relevant timestamp and an incriminating name like acord....

Other than that the only thing I know of that does network activity is update and Easy Install which you run manually, so they don't seem so likely to go unnoticed.

Thx

D

The only types of communication Accordance does online are:

1) Automatic App Updates

2) Content Updates

3) Easy Install

4) Dropbox Sync

Automatic App Updates only check once a day, for minuscule bandwidth. If there is an update, it will download the ~70MB update, but you said you are already on the latest. Content Updates can be set to automatically check (you can turn this off), but again this is a small check unless you download lots of updates.Easy Install only occurs when you deliberately open it, or deliberately download items. Dropbox sync you can disable, or set to manual.

So, either this is deliberate updates or easy install, or an automatic dropbox sync.

• Like 1

It had to be automatic update on drop box sync. After switching it to manual there is no issue. Thanks. And my apologies Daniel for dismissing drop box so quickly.

-Dan

No problem. Glad we found out what it was. But I wonder why so much data, unless you have that much user content.

Thx

D

Not at all 25 MB my only guess is somehow it downloaded them over and over.

-dan

Odd. I don't know enough about the process yet. Hopefully someone else can suggest a corrective.

Thx

D

Manual updating drop box seems to have solved my issue and in the end that is all that matters. I realize it is likely some bizarre quirk particular to my set up but I can easily live with manual syncing.

-dan