Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted Today, 12:11 PM

Any of you going to give this a try?  How about all of you who are already running the beta – any cautions for the rest of us?

EDIT:  I didn't sign up for the public beta, but would like to hear more from you who are testing.  Do you like what you see?

Edited by Julie Falling, Today, 12:13 PM.

Julia Falling

Accordance 10

MacBook Air Mavericks

Mac mini Mavericks

iPad Air iOS 7

#2 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted Today, 12:38 PM

There was an issue with the 3rd developer preview that caused Accordance to crash when opening the library window (Nathan Parker reported on it here--although I might suggest his use of major was a bit of hyperbole   ;) ).

That issue went away for me in the 4th preview, which I believe is what is being released in the beta program today. I haven't had some of the other random crashes in Accordance that Nathan described in the above-linked thread.

I've had trouble with folder icons disappearing, but a reinstall today fixed that.

A handful of programs have not worked on and off with the previews.

I would definitely say not to install the beta if you only have one Mac. I'm down to one Mac and I installed anyway, only to regret it afterwards. Each build has naturally seen improvement, but I've been part of Apple's appleseed program for a number of years, and Yosemite was initially the buggiest OS X beta I've used. I think that's because Yosemite is a very significant update compared to some of the recent updates.

If you only have one Mac, I would suggest proceeding with great caution.

___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#3 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted Today, 01:39 PM

Did Apple have a public beta for Mavericks?  I'm wondering if there might be a wider testing this time so that the general release is less buggy?

Julia Falling

Accordance 10

MacBook Air Mavericks

Mac mini Mavericks

iPad Air iOS 7

#4 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted Today, 02:50 PM

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that this is the first time they've done a public beta for OSX.

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

#5 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted Today, 02:54 PM

Did Apple have a public beta for Mavericks?  I'm wondering if there might be a wider testing this time so that the general release is less buggy?

No. I can't remember the last time Apple had a public beta. They've had a private invitation-only Appleseed program for a number of years that I've been a part of for the last few versions of OS X. 

I think your hypothesis is correct. There are a lot of changes and new features in Yosemite, so I'm guessing they are thinking a public beta will help iron out some of the problems before the final release. Or maybe they are being like Microsoft, which generally has a public beta of Windows :-)

Come to think about it, there was a limited public beta for OS X 10.0. That may have been the last time.

___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#6 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted Today, 04:44 PM

Please, please – I don't want Apple to be like Microsoft.  I don't think that word is allowed on this forum, is it?   :unsure:

Julia Falling

Accordance 10

MacBook Air Mavericks

Mac mini Mavericks

iPad Air iOS 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users