Doesn't Accordance do this for a lot less $?

Chuck Schneider

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/july-web-only/bibliotheca-readers-bible.html

"With two days left, Greene's goal of raising $37,000 to print a Bible "designed and crafted for reading, separated into four elegant volumes, and free of all numbers and notes" has been met several times over."

Edited by Chuck Schneider

Interesting...

I am for whatever will get people into the Word.

But, oh boy, he will have a lot of spare change. Wonder if he would consider making a donation to the "cause" of me completing my Accordance library? :)

• Like 3

Could this be a sign of the resurgence of the ASV? I can think of one Accordance user who would love that. :)

To each there own I suppose... the only way I personally particularly like ASV is World English Bible. Which is significantly updated and I am not sure acceptable to true ASV fans.

-Dan

I think it is more a sign of what people are really looking for in a print Bible - one that is easy to read without a lot of distractions. It uses book paper not the tissue paper found in most print Bibles.The Bible was made to be read: all of it.

This version of the ASV has been "lightly edited" - removal of thee and thou, etc. mostly.

The complete article from the Bibliotheca website clarifies the goal of the project. He isn't spending $37,000 on one Bible but is producing print Bibles for interested parties who prepay at different levels of participation. A complete version of the OT & NT is $75. That seems a very reasonable amount to pay for a Bible that is designed with the reader in mind.

As you might guess I still use print Bibles quite a bit. The physical form of the book still has great value to me. But I have not jumped on board with the Biblitheca project as of this time.

• Like 1

Hmmm..., I wonder what he'd charge for an "incomplete OT & NT," one with all the "thou shalt not" passages removed that address my "favorite" sins? ;)

Could this be a sign of the resurgence of the ASV? I can think of one Accordance user who would love that. :)

English RV please Rick! Better marginal choices IMHO! (for the most part anyway)

English RV please Rick! Better marginal choices IMHO! (for the most part anyway)

I'm going to play the pessimist and say it's the ASV because it's royalty free and not the RV because, well Ken, let's just be honest, many people over here would really rather have the MSV, the 'Murican Standard Version. (If that reference doesn't translate internationally) ;)

• Like 1

I think we'll see other publishers jump on board here and produce something similar with their translations. If people will buy a warmed-over ASV sprinkled with the YLT, we might as well have the ESV or others.

I for one thought it interesting that a book designer is making decisions on syntax and translation issues. And I think it also shows the power of a high-definition, well-produced and scripted video.

Maybe we can create a spin-off iPad app powered by Accordance that replicates this same thing, which we can already do on desktop! :) (don't hold your breath)

• Like 2

I'm going to play the pessimist and say it's the ASV because it's royalty free and not the RV because, well Ken, let's just be honest, many people over here would really rather have the MSV, the 'Murican Standard Version. (If that reference doesn't translate internationally) ;)

Ahh, you 'muricans! (Thanks for the explanatory link Graham, never heard of it before)

• 1 month later...

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/july-web-only/bibliotheca-readers-bible.html

"With two days left, Greene's goal of raising $37,000 to print a Bible "designed and crafted for reading, separated into four elegant volumes, and free of all numbers and notes" has been met several times over."

Some people just prefer print edition materials, I guess - the feel, the look, the sheer craftsmanship, personal reading experience and so on. Even in spite of the economical disadvantage. Why, a Bible with a leather cover and gilded page edges sure looks pretty. In this particular case, $37000 is perhaps a bit much for this kind of project, which indeed has been done before, as David pointed out. In short, "There is nothing new under the sun"!

And yes, while Accordance produces great Bibles a lot cheaper, there will probably always be a market for print edition Bibles and other books. Some people I know of say that it feels unnatural for them to read and work with the Bible on a computer. I don't get that though: For Biblical exegesis, Accordance is peerless in my opinion and at the very least way more effective than the old fashion methods, so the transition is a no-brainer. A digital Bible is a whole lot better than a real one in this regard.

Although, being taught everything I know the old school way, I gotta admit that I still prefer to work with actual books sometimes - and not just for nostalgia's sake either. I still use them when I, for instance, translate Biblical Hebrew (and other texts). I always do that manually with my old hard back Biblia Hebraica, grammar and dictionary. It takes lot of time to get the job done, but it forces me to think and thus helps me stay on top of the grammatical aspects of the language. But if I'm doing complex exegetical research, I will neither browse the Bible nor dozens of other books by hand to find the answer. It simply takes too long and is not worth the trouble compared to using Accordance.

All in all, it makes no sense to buy any print edition Bible such as the one you mentioned for Bible study. Not any more. But it's nice to have there on the shelf and to look at every now and then when you just feel like sitting down, reading a passage (or more). As for print edition books in general they serve a great purpose for when you don't want to make things too easy for yourself.

Edited by Pchris